1986 oldsmobile cutlass salon wont stay on

Asked by May 23, 2016 at 05:40 PM about the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I just change the brake booster and yesterday I changed the spark plugs. When I went to start it it turn on, I let it idle but when I press the gas pedal it dies. What could be causing it?

3,865

If its carbureted it could be a worn out accelerator pump in the carb. Has it been parked for a while or has it been gradually getting worse. Also, if its been parked a while it could be the effect of ethanol enriched fuel gumming up and plugging the fuel system. A really weak fuel pump may also be the culprit. Lots of guessing going on here, but it does sound like a fuel system issue of some sort.

Good day, it has spark, it has fuel flow into the carb. fuel filter change. ignition control module changed because it was faulty but if it turns pn I have to accelerate slowly

3,865

Sounds more and more like a worn out accelerator pump in the carb. Yours is totally rebuildable, it just requires a rebuild kit and some time,

but the pump squirts two streams of fuel when it does turn on, I'm starting to think that the car is possessed.

3,865

When you move the linkage on the carb as if you were stepping on the gas do you get an extra good strong squirt of fuel? If not then the accelerator pump is worn out.

yes I get a good squirt of fuel, I changed the ignition control module and still no start. could it be the pick up coil under the ignition control module, then?

3,865

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas. For it to run fine but not accelerate seems like a fuel issue, but I suppose it could be ignition related as well. When it dies, dies it just die or does it pop and sputter as it the timing was really bad? I'm just kind of fishing for ideas now. What you really need is to have someone look at it in real time to analyze the symptoms, listen to it and drive it.