Driveshaft length

Asked by May 22, 2017 at 09:03 PM about the 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I have a 85 cutlass brougham I just put a 350
goodwrench in it with a 350 turbo trans but now I
need a drive shaft does anyone know what size
drive shaft I will need ?

24,145

I put a 350/350 turbo short tail in my 1981 cutlass, it had a 350 turbo short tail in it originally that I sent to the scrap yard. So my drive shaft was already the correct length. The tail can come off trans if yours is long tail and put a short tail on it, only draw back to this is it has to be removed and disassembled as the tail shaft it the last part to come out, or first to be put in. Or vise-sersa.

24,145

Otherwise if your drive-shaft is too long have it cut-back to length. Or get one from another car.

24,145

Which is yours (trans) short or long tail and is your drive shaft now too long or too short?

24,145

The cutlass from those years are short wheel base, If you have a long tail trans and do not want to pull the trans and take it apart to install the short tail shaft in it then you need to cut the drive-shaft to length.

OK I have a short tail trans but drive shaft too long I was told my drive shaft should be 55 inches day one I have is 58

24,145

I would go to junk yard and measure the ones under other cutlass cars for the correct shaft. Mine already had short tail in it so I know there is some around already the correct length. Now the older Olds & Pontiacs (70's) may have it too. I used a 1980 donor Olds cutlass that had extra parts and the engine was not original. The car I used as a donor for parts also came with a 400 Pontiac motor some trans I do not know which and another drive shaft that I laid both beside each other to check length and both were the same and I picked the best looking one to use (do not know which now I used from either but both would have worked), So I think it came from a early 70's car is what they said anyway, I did not confirm as I just put it all with the wrecked scrap body load of metal and sent it all to the scrap yard to get some of my money back. So I would go looking and find the right one before cutting it back. Take it with you as the junk yard may trade you for it.

I jus switched my 83cutlass from a v6 Buick to v8 Chevy with 700r4trans had to cut drive shaft to 56" they said 55 but i did 56" ... I measured whole drive shaft end to end out of the car