Does anyone know how to remove back seat of 1985 4-door Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Asked by Oct 01, 2015 at 04:27 PM about the 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I accidentally locked my keys in the trunk and struggling finding my spare as
well..I know, I know that's ignorant of me to do. But can someone help guiding
me in removing the backseat please.

790

remove the bottom of the rear seats first. Then remove the top of the rear seats. Now you can easily crawl-through into the trunk area to get your keys. Next chance you get, you might want to install an electronic trunk release mechanism in place of the mechanical one, connect it into the trunk lid light power harness and run a remote switch into the rear passenger area for future use and use some kind of push button in a hidden area. if you have a rear middle brake light in the rear window, you can even install a slim rocket or push button switch in that housing to hide it, yet remain available in case you ever need it. The electronic trunk release can be pulled from many old GM vehicles at an auto scrapyard, parts recycler, or even new from many online sources for little money.

58,985

Your '85 model should be standard GM. Remove the bottom of the seat first by pushing rearward on the front of the seat (where your butt would be if you are sitting in the seat). As your pushing rearward lift up to disengage the clips. It's easier to do one side at a time. Once it's free from the clips lift up from the bottom of the seat and remove it. Next to remove the back of the seat there's 2 bolts, one on each end of the seat back cushion near the floor. Remove them. Slightly pull the seat back toward you. Now lift up on the seat back assembly to disengage it from the hooks that it (literally) hangs on. HTH. -Jim

3,625

Once you've done all that you will notice a metal wall that divides the trunk from the passenger compartment. It is there to prevent things from the trunk from coming through the back seat and entering the passenger compartment in the event of an accident. It is part of the structure of the car and is not removable. You will also notice that you are no closer to retrieving your keys than you were before going to all that trouble. Your next step at this point is to either call a locksmith to get you into the trunk, or get an auto body slide hammer with a large sheet metal screw in the end of it. Screw it into the lock where you would put the key and pull the entire lock assembly out of the trunk lid. Yes, the lock assembly will be ruined and need replacing. If all goes well, there will probably be no damage to the trunk lid itself.