How do I knew If my carburetor works good

Asked by Jul 05, 2014 at 04:14 AM about the 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I smell gas when I'm riding,
SOMETIMES burn  gas.

When you can smell raw gasoline when driving your car, GE IT FIXED post haste. There is always a risk of fire, and recommend not driving it until the leak is found and repaired. I see a beautiful little kid there if you catch my drift...

22,435

breathing gasoline is carcinogenic- leaking gas is dangerous- start saving for a new carb for that old Olds- or for a new car-

3,945

If you're smelling raw fuel that should be fairly easy to find. Open the hood with the engine running and carefully remove the air cleaner assembly. Make sure the screws holding the carburetor together are tight. Follow the fuel line back from where it goes into the carburetor back down to the fuel pump on the side of the engine. Look for fuel leaking at any of the connections. If its a connection, simply tightening it will eliminate the problem Also check the rubber fuel line itself. The rubber fuel lines don't last forever. If one is seeping replace it and make sure the connections are tight. Also examine the fuel pump. They occasionally leak where the components are put together. The fuel pump can't be repaired and should be replaced if its at fault. You may need a trouble light or a good flashlight to see some of these areas properly. Be careful. Remember there are fans and belts and things that you can get tangled up in if you're careless.