I have a 1984 cutlass supreme with the v6 it made a loud tapping noise and lost power and died on me now it tries to crank over but has that loud clanking noise told it was a lifter but not sure

10

Asked by Apr 08, 2015 at 08:37 PM about the 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

If it is a lifter would that cause it to have no
power and die now it wont crank over tries
but makes that loud noise and is it fixable

75,795

Sounds like a spun bearing. Does it have high mileage? Might be time for an engine rebuild. HTH. -Jim

10

Its got 134,000 miles on it it wont crank over but not sure what the loud noise when i was driving it it started making that loud clanking noise and it was losing power then just died on me

75,795

A lifter is more like a metallic tap. If the knock sensor picks it up it can cause a loss of power. HTH. -Jim

4,655

Maybe a timing belt failure with some valve to piston interference before it finally locked up? Just a thought. Does sound more like a bottom end failure although that's pretty low mileage for that to happen. Either way I'd say you're going to have to open things up a bit to find out. Do it yourself if you can. No point in spending $500 to find out the motor is done. If the car is just a driver I wouldn't spend more than about $3 on it. But if its something special and worth repairing start looking around for an engine. I've got a bad feeling about this one.