My 83 cutlass supreme isn't starting.

Asked by Feb 11, 2016 at 12:14 PM about the 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I just replaced alternator,starter,spark plugs,coil , battery is charged and its
getting fuel. Can anyone give me a clue as to what else it could be.

71,275

Dose the motor turn over but not start?

yes sir..sounds like its right about to then nothing

94,905

Are you sure you are getting spark at the plugs?

I just put new platinum spark plugs yesterday because my old ones were incredibly dirty. So to answer your question honestly..I'm not sure if I am getting spark.

I'm still a beginner on working on my vehicles. So if you can please excuse my lack of intelligence and comprehension as to where to look for the problem.

94,905

So when you pull out a plug look at it closely, if it is wet then you have no spark, if it is dry then I would run a compression test, a tired, low compression engine is not going to fire off. You can do a dry and a wet compression test if the dry test is low.

Thank you. If it is wet, what should i do next. Also how do i do the compression test if the spark plugs are dry.

94,905

Then you need to check for spark, move the plug wire up away from the open cylinder, put in an old spark plug that is dry, ground it to the motor, and have some one crank over the engine and watch for spark, if no spark then you need to remove the top of the distributor cap where the coil is and hook up a test light to the negative side of the coil and a power source on the other end, then crank it over and watch for a flash from the test light, if you don't get any flashing then replace the ignition module and if it has never been done also the pick up coil, then put the plug back in and start it. You can use you tube on how to run a compression test, there are a number of videos there.

Best Answer

thank you

71,275

Thank you also tennisshoes, my computer was down since this morning, nice answer.

3,915

If it ran before the new plugs and wires and won't run right after you install them its not a compression issue. That comes on gradually and won't prevent an engine from starting. Are you absolutely sure you got the wires back on in the right order and that they are seated properly on the plugs and the distributor. Then, absolutely make sure you have spark. Check you tube for a how-to vid like Rowefast said. Also just generally look around the engine bay in the area you were working to make sure nothing else came unplugged or got damaged while you were changing plugs, alternator etc.