My 71 cutlass started and drove 40 minutes fine, but once I reached my destination and turned off the car later would not start?

Asked by Dec 24, 2015 at 09:25 AM about the 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Baterry is fine. I was told I was getting spark, but only after spraying starter
fluid ( yeah I know)  into the carberater She would come alive

No fuel, fuel pump could have gone bad, you could check the fuel pressure it should be around 3 to 6 lbs. Make sure your fuel filter is not plugged, always a good idea to change it out frequently.

I have her In the shop now. I was hoping to avoid spending more money on something that could of possibly been fixed myself.

Hmm... vapor lock?

Let us know, we always like to know what it took...

I will inform you guys as soon as I find out,

Definitely a fuel problem. Try lightly tapping on the carburetor near the area where the fuel line connects to it. The needle and seat valve in the carburetor may be stuck closed. HTH. - Jim

Ok guys I took my car to the shop but I was shocked to see my car parked face to face ( about 3 f ft ) from the mechanics 71 monte carl both leaking a lrge puddle of trannie fluid. I did have a small leak prior to bringing it there, but now the puddle is very large while strangly his car was doing the same? My question is do you guys thik there was foul play when according to him he had not begun any work yet?..

And btw he said my car started fine when he attempted to start it, and that I probably should of put premium in the tank..