Stalls out when stopped at light or rpm's increase to over 2000 when stopped
1. Truck will periodically die while idling at stop light. (sometime without any warning)
2. Usually starts right away but sometimes acts as if it is flooding out and takes a minute to start
3. Will hesitate (jerk) when accelerating from a stop and a few times even on the freeway.
4. Gas gauge will drop to empty and fuel light comes on even with full tank.
5. Last week , upon starting it first thing in the morning, it acted as if it was flooding out and when it finally started a large cloud of grey smoke came from the exhaust.
6. While idling at intersection it will usually idle fine but will sometinmes start to idle rough (trying to surge forward when I have foot on brake) and I will put it in neutral to keep it from dying.
7. This weekend, when pulling into a parking lot it continued to accelerate to over 2000 rpm's when turning right and with foot on break. When I parked the rpm's actually increased to about about 2500 when sitting in neutral. It didn't come back down until I turned the engine off. Let me know if this helps isolate the problem at all.
Did you clean the throttle body and cable linkages? http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3473990-clean_2001_chevy_suburban_1500_throttle
Well right out of the chute am going to say that your fuel pressure regulator has gone bad, or the vacuum hose has fallen off. Get a NEW battery and wirebrush the connection to the chassis ground at the other end (non battery clamp side) of the 1/0 cable~ get both pieces ready to take on 300 cold cranking amps~...and the one going to the motor block (near the alternator)~
None of the electrics will work properly ECM, self-diagnostics do not like 14.5 volts your idle air control could be an issue~
Fuel pressure regulator not regulatin' would do this~
A worn out TPS or accelerator position sensor would do this...you'd be shootin' yourself in the foot (ha-ha) with a failure~
Looking for a Used Suburban in your area?
CarGurus has 19,283 nationwide Suburban listings starting at $1,999.
Search Chevrolet Suburban Questions
Chevrolet Suburban Experts