How does one repair a SQUEAKY mechanical window?

45

Asked by Jan 29, 2014 at 07:15 AM about the 1968 Buick LeSabre

Who do I have to grease to get this window from squeaking!!  Please help CARGURUS!!

228,505

Is the squeak from the window itself in the track or is the sound coming from inside the door panel. My guess is you would need to remove the inner door panel to expose the door regulator and lube the guides.

45

Thanks Tom. I think the squeak is coming from the window glass. It seems to be a glass squeak. Anyway, I figured I would have to take the door panel off anyhow to check everything out. I just learned how to "pop" off the window cranks, so on my next day off, I will try to take the door panel off. Another first for me.....but then again, pretty much everything is a first for me. ROOKIE!

228,505

If you think it is the window glass, then try the easy stuff first and clean the window with some glass cleaner. See if that helps, you'll be amazed at how little dirt can make a squeal.

45

Now that's a repair within my capabilites. Certainly worth a try and, if it doesn't fix the problem, at least I have a clean window!! Thanks again Tom.

45

UPDATE Took off the door panel and gooped up the window register with some white lithium grease. Adjusted the upper stop while at it. Found a lot of loose pieces in the bottom of the door. Some hardware and some weather stipping/ gasket type material. Anyway, I learned a lot and that pesky squeak is gone!