What size motor is in the 1966 Buick LaSabre

Asked by Nov 05, 2015 at 08:45 PM about the 1966 Buick LeSabre

15,735

This should help. http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/buick/full- size_buick_6gen/le_sabre_3gen_4-door_hardtop/1966.html

15,735

By the way, pop up the hood to see what engine you have or look at the door jam. Probably, you don't have an owners manual? Fat chance, I know, but, you can download one. (LOL).

59,205

V8 340. HTH. -Jim

15,735

Matthew, do you own this car or just curious and thinking about getting one? If you have the car, how does it run?

15,735

Which configuration, there's a few here.

455

Could of been a 401 v8.

59,205

Nope, the 401 was not available for the LeSabre in '66. It came in the Skylark GS, Wildcat, Electra, and Riviera. HTH -Jim

455

I actually have one in my garage and my dad left it to me. It had 7 miles when he bought it and it has 72,800 miles now. Has a 401 I had rebuilt last year when it began to leak oil around the main seal. Still runs fine and has the original am radio in it.

59,205

Perhaps Dad put it in later or had it installed as a dealer installed option. It wasn't available from the factory with the 401. You can actually get a copy of the original factory to dealer invoice for your specific car for $50. Contact Allied Vaughn if you're interested. Better yet, if you have the original paperwork for the car, that would show a dealer installed option. HTH. -Jim

15,735

72,800 miles? Really? . Was this thing in a museum?

455

No. Kept in a garage by him as a "toy". I have the original sales sticker from the window showing he paid 4,259$ For the car. Shows a 401 v-8 with 273 hp on sticker. Doesn't show dealer installed at all. It is a "limited" according to that paper from the window when it had 0 miles ..

15,735

A toy, you say. Yes, well, it's definitely a big gas guzzler! Unfortunately, many of these old 60s cars by today's standards are just more nostalgia than anything else. Sure, they were muscle cars in their day, the model technology of newer cars have made these behemoths seem lethargic with their four valves per cylinder and naturally aspirated engines breathing easier. Plus, add in greater fuel-efficiency and voilla these cars look extremely dated. As far as I'm concerned, it's much better today than living in the bad old days of polluting vehicles and extra stops at the gas station. Not to mention, these old cars lack air bags, vehicle stability control, better handling, not as quiet as modern cars, etc. SO, what's your plan for this car?

455

To pass it on to my son when I die. He wants the car but he can't have it until I am gone. I put 10 miles on it every week just on Sunday's. Take it down the highway and back. Everything is original and still functions.

15,735

How old are you ?. So, when will you pass this car along?. That's a lot of insurance payments over the years. Do you think the car will be worth doing this and what's it costing you annually to maintain this car? How does it drive? Can you post a picture, please?

59,205

Well I have checked several of my parts books, some from the period. As well as the cataloging at work (NAPA), and my car books. All are showing the 401 was not available in the '66 LeSabre. You must have a very rare bird. Is it possible yours has a police package or some other special order package? I'd encourage you to get the invoice from Allied Vaughn to see. Because this is basically a one owner car I'm inclined to believe you. As opposed to being a subsequent owner I'd honestly dismiss this as being an engine replacement. I'll be very curious as to what you find out! Please keep us posted! -Jim