no power

10

Asked by Jun 14, 2014 at 09:06 PM about the 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Greetings I have an olds cutlass with the original rocket 350 2bbl. It starts fine and runs ok but if you give it gas in gear it will stall or if going up hill it will slow down no passing gear it will die but start right back up. In park you can rev it just fine. I put new plugs wires dis cap rotor points fuel filter gas tank (had leak top side seam)fuel lines, I also did a dry compression test and they all hit around 150 psi . A mechanic I know wants to drill the jets out in my carb because of poor fuel today but I cant see it
Help I want to keep her as stock as possible

112,115

Have you checked all your vacuum lines for cracks and leaks?

10

yes they ae all fairly new and vacum advance is working on distributor

112,115

Does the car set a lot un driven? If so could just be a bad gas/condensation issue. Try some sea foam in a full tank of gas. But if gas that is in it is over a couple months old then remove all the old and add some new gas.

10

Thanks yes we replace the gas tank because it leaked when full a seam was leaking we thought it mite be the rubber lines on top of the tank so replaced them also, we filled the new tank with premium and added a booster no change at all in performance

68,525

If you have the turbo-hydramatic 350 check the kick down cable for proper installation and adjustment. You should also be running a lead substitute in the gas as well. HTH. -Jim

10

Thanks I will look that up and try it and thanks for the lesd substitute tip do I also need the zinc oil additive ?

68,525

You're welcome. Glad to help. As long as you're not using oil I wouldn't bother with the oil additive. HTH -Jim

Hey I have a 350 rocket engine I had rebuild with a 268 cam and boiled over 40. I put it in a 88 Cadillac brougham and I'm having problems with it idling up and down is this normal of not