Steering Wheel

5

Asked by Jun 19, 2009 at 03:29 PM about the 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Does anyone know where i Can find a good steering wheel for a 1968 cutlass supreme?

275

re; "good steering wheel for '68 Supreme". I'll look for one. Its probably slightly different in appearance than a Delta 88/98, right? There is alot of aftermarket places that sell wheels. I bought a 4-spoke (stainless steel),one from Fuzics. Its the stlye you see on 70-77 Cutlass's with wheel option, not sure if its the same as '68. There are places that overhaul them, its pricey for a stock wheel. I J-B welded all the big cracks in the one for my '76, then sanded it down, got some Eastwood stain and blasted it. Then put one of those $7.00 wheel covers over it. Looked OK for a $25.00 repair job.

275

re:"Steering wheel for my '68 Cutlass". If you do go the J-B Weld route. I'm not sure if the 60's wheels have that collar that extends behind the wheel and fits up to the column. If they do and its cracked and you "weld" it. You may want to do this. After cleaning out the cracks, apply masking tape over the crack(s), then use a razor blade and carefully trim the tape over the crack that way when you apply the weld to fill the cracks it will not get on the surrounding surface. Then carefully sand it down flush with the surrounding surface. Then remove the tape and color-match. Because this area is visible when done and wont be covered by a wheel cover if you sand on the smooth factory finish of that collar it ends up looking terrible, I mean really bad and you cant fix it or at least I couldn't.