Key won't turn in ignition

Asked by May 14, 2015 at 05:34 AM about the 2008 Kia Amanti

20

If It is the correct key and It is inserted all of the way in, then most likely the cylinder is bad. Wiggle the key around while trying to turn It. It may eventually unlock and turn, but this problem will not go away, the ignition cylinder must be replaced. Also, be sure that your gear shifter is all the way in Park. Some cars lock the key cylinder if the Park switch isn't met or the shifter isn't in Park.

20

Be gentle while wiggling the key around in the cylinder as keys are breakable. This same thing used to happen with my Grand Am and two replacing the ignition module fixed It.

80

Could be a lock tumbler issue- try graphite spray NOT WD- 40(gums up later). On the Amanti automatics there is an common cable issue::::::::::::: The Amanti with an automatic transmission has a cable running to the underside of the the ignition switch. This cable is attached to a black rectangular plate by 5 small phillips screws. This cable is a safety cable that attaches to the shift button you press on the console to put the car into gear. If there is an issue with the button or cable it will not allow the cable to go all the way back and cause the key to lock. You can simply remove the black plate with cable attached and the key will turn and start the car while in gear (danger) Access to this plate takes a bit of work. Steps are as follows. 1) press emergency brake and then removed emergency brake release bracket on bottom left of dash (phillips screw underneath handle). 2. Remove panel under steering column (phillips screws or 10mm bolts.). 3. Remove uppper cross member (silver) just under steering column (4 - 10mm bolts). Laying on your back looking up at the ignition key lock you will see the cable and black plate. Simply remove the plate (5 phillips screws). The key should come free. Occasionally the

40

If you put key in ignition wont turn on but key works on trunk and doors it wiil turn to acc but wont go to on

40

What is wrong

20

Alfreda. Did you have any luck solving this. I am having the same problem

Locksmith should check key first. A mechanic told me he had one at his shop and had to get a locksmith come replace ignition and program key. That's what two mechanics told me.

Put the key in ignition it was hard to get out. Finally got it out and then I try to put the key back in the ignition it won't turn over at all what do I do 2005 Kia Amanti

10

Car won’t start key won’t even turn on

10

Key will not turn car on lights out come on in the car but the key will not turn in a switch at all

When the key did not turn in my 2005 Amanti it wind up being the key itself. I went to a locksmith he did not replace my key at first he let me use a key tape it against the old one because it had something to do with the chip I taped the two together use the new key without paying to get a new chip put in and the car worked fine. So I suggest get a key made try that and and if the car starts you know you just needed a new key. I have been told by a number of mechanic and locksmith now that happens a lot in the Amante's so avoid hundreds of dollars for changing ignition switches and all that stuff pay $100 get a new key and try that first.