put in a new ignition key cycl. & ignition switch when in the off position key comes out and green light indicator 4 fresh air lights up runs battery down plus stering wheel will not lock

55

Asked by Feb 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu

little green light on fresh air indicator comes on and stering wheel will not lock plus you can shift car from p to d3. PLEASE!!!!!!! Help me!!

80,415

If you did not disconnect the battery before you did the repair, check all the fuses. Sounds like one or more blew during the repair. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
80,415

Yes, even a dead battery may have a small amount of juice still in it. Enough to "pop" a fuse. HTH. -Jim

55

HTH Jim, when I ck fuses other then under the hood and both door panels are there fuses anywhere else I'll have to check? Tks for your reply..SS

80,415

There may be a small fuse block under the dash to the right of the steering column in addition to the others you mentioned. HTH. -Jim

55

HTH Jim,checked all fuses ck ok w green light...Any other thoughts? thanks for your help:) ss

80,415

Only to double check the wiring in the steering column and behind the dash. Make sure everything got plugged in correctly and that no wires got damaged or pinched during the repair. HTH. -Jim

55

HTHT Jim: tks for you hlep! Took the starter switch & key cylinder out and started all over. The little green light is off now and cannot shift from P to D3 anymore. Ask local repair they want to hook it up for diagnosic with a 115 per hr charge min 2 hrs. to see what it staying on to draw the battery to 0amps. or if I have a short. DO you think this is worth doing or should I wait to see if battery drains now that light is off. What do you think could stay on but not know it from sight or sound onthis 2001 malibu are there known issues on this car? tks again ss :)

80,415

That's great news! Thanks for letting me know. I would not spend the money at this point. Sounds like everything is working correctly now. My motto is "If it works, don't fix it.". HTH. -Jim

55

Js08016 Hi Jim talked w u last month on these issue. Recently my car again would not let me turn the igition key to the off position just by a smidgging. Knew prior repair so I investigated.... Found that the AUTO transmission KNOB was broken and when I pushed in button to move from D to P the pulley inside was not raising up all the way so again the computer was thinking car not in park... Just FYI incase someone else has a similar issue. Ordered on EBAY a replacement AUTO KNOB and replaced it and works perfect. Those knobs can only be bought @ junk yard or @ dealer you know the difference in those prices.. Have a safe & happy Easter Ssweet

80,415

Thanks very much for the follow up information. That will definitely help others down the road. A safe and happy Easter as well. -Jim