Won't start

480

Asked by Apr 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM about the 2008 Jeep Commander

I have a used 2008 Jeep Commander Sport and have had no issues until now. Made a short trip to grocery
store, when I got back in,,,nothing. Lights come on the dash but engine will not turn over.??

480

My battery is new, key has new battery as well and I had no warning lights on the dash.

1,095

does it crank at all and just not start or does the starter not even turn

480

It just clicks, happened with no warning

480

my interior lights come on, dash lights up and still have beeping sounds from leaving key in ignition

480

Turned out to need a software update that caused "inconsistent starting".

150

This is to all jeep commander owners and also jeep grand Cherokees made n the same year. My no start issue started a year ago after a flood which I promptly associated the starter issue with. I had everything mechanical replaced the start issue arose. I went in repeatedly which ended up with re-replacement of mechanical parts. Still no fix. So this is what I have done to fix the problem- fuses 39 and 40 of the integrated power module, drivers side forward fuse box, behind the battery has 4 total electrically actuated switches "1/2 A 190" that can be purchased at any auto parts store- REPLACE THEM. I pulled all of mine to be safe a my Commander has run ever since and started immediately each time that I have tried. My original switches were so hot that they burned my fingers. Being inquisitive I broke them apart to reveal a mechanical contact that had burnt points to the point of actual metal blow out and arc marks. In the mean time repeatedly(fast) try to start the vehicle and it should start.. This issue is like a ghost haunting your cars as the vehicle started sometimes with no repeatability or codes. also tap on those switches to reset if the switch is stuck also feel if they are hot after driving, could be a key indicator of a future problem, they should be warm but not hot. Good luck and I hope this helps.

150

another pic on the other side of the micro contact

150

This is an issue that many people are dealing with and one that Jeep is not admitting to. A class action lawsuit is also in process to replace the integrated power module with something more robust. I hope this helps.

20

Wow! This is occurring to my vehicle right now and jeep is giving us a hard time. How can I get in on the class action suit? This is the second time dealing with this and now our jeep does not start at all. Thanks for this post!

40

I just got my 06 commander ignition replaced due to a recall. It started from the dealership, but I stopped at the store and the jeep never started back up. Sitting at the dealership with the mechanics scratching their heads...

10

We have been snowed in for 2 days been cranking up just fine yesterday... but today the temperatures dropped to 5 degrees and the thing just clicks when I try to start up!!! help

10

Have the same no start problem. Takes three to four time to get it going. Very random. Can never get it to have for my mechanic or dealer.

10

i have 2010 jeep commander, this is very first time my jeep will not start. I stopped to get a coffee, came out and vehicle was dead. And like everyone here all my lights work, interior and head lights. All dash lights and warning chimes work, but still had no start at all. My jeep is 7 years old, this shouldn't be happening.

15

Mine was the connections to the starter. It's known on the commander, all lights on dash come on but won't crank. I take a pipe climb under the jeep move the wires going to the starter and it fires right up

10

WCM problem if your red dot light is blinking when key is on position. The ECM won't see the key "164 transponder" until you replace WCM. It is located near ignition switch ring. Skim reader.

This isn't an answer, but more of a question. I have an 06 jeep commander 5.7L. All the lights come on in dash as well but won't start. It's on its second started. Had it replaced 4 or 5 years ago. What I'm wondering is that this happened a couple months ago after a hard rain, and then "fixed" itself and has been fine until 2 days ago. There was another hard rain again. I just don't want to spend tons of money on fixing things that aren't broken or in needing of repair. Could it be a distributor cap issue or something else? Could it be that I need a 3rd starter? Please help!

10

Im going through this nightmare still right now. Im Trying to have it fixed next weekend. I spoke to a jeep tech and he said the factory starter is a poor design drwing too much current through the harness, As a result it chews through the harness making a intermittent start issue, It engages the solenoid (Click) but not enough current to turn over the starter until you get lucky. He said the repair is a new starter and Harness. Dealer quoted me 315 just starter installed. Awaiting call back for the additional harness quote.

10

I cut the yellow wire that plugs into the starter and spliced in a new wire and connector.. it is fixed no more issuse with it not starting any more. It was a pain because i took driver side tire and wheel well trim(or whatever you call it) off and there is limited space. But im also a big guy