Why won't my 1984 crown victoria hold it's idle?

15

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 02:12 AM about the 1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

It has the 302 engine which I have no problem starting when cold but after it's been running for a while I have to keep the accelerator depressed when stopping at a red light or else the engine dies down. The idle seems to be dropping too low. I've already checked all filters, fuel lines, fuel pump and spark plugs.

109,845

Possibly dirty/faulty idle air control valve or dirty throttle plate. Could also be egr or pcv valve sticking open.

21,965

the car is 30 years old- the engine is 30 years old- the carb is also 30- try adjusting it- try rebuilding it- try replacing it-

24,165

I would look for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold - where the manifold meets the heads as well as at the EGR and check the PCV. Your engine is Throttle-body injected so there isn't an IAC and the Throttle plates are constantly washed by fuel spray. There is an Idle Actuator (plunger- type device). It's a small stepper motor with a button on the end of it to tell the EEC-III PCM when the throttle is at idle. Yours is a difficult system to diagnose and even more difficult to find someone that knows how to work on it. While I was factory trained on this system in 1988, I avoid it as much as possible. There are no trouble codes, it's a 9 volt system and all electronic diags are performed with a Breakout Box and Volt meter.

15

Thanks for the tips I will try looking into this. Also, I've found out that the arrow indicator for the transmission on the dashboard is somehow dephased so I might have been on the overdrive lock which I think would explain the engine dying down when I don't give it gas.

I changed the egr value and fixed several problems..