i have a 1984 crown victoria ltd sometimes im having trouble with it startin i have bought a brand new battery brand new alternator a new voltage regulator and it still wont start only if i let it sit all day or if i get a jump from someone eles if anybody know anything that will help please let me know asap thanks in advance

75

Asked by Mar 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM about the 1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

26,625

Does the motor crank but won't start or won't crank? That diagnosis is difficult from your description. It takes 3 basic components to make an engine run: If the motor turns over but will not run, the problem is either fuel delivery, internal engine trouble (timing chain etc.) or a lack of spark. If the engine will not crank at all, things to consider are the Neutral Safety Switch (try starting it in Neutral instead of park) A bad starter, bad connections from the battery to the relay, from the relay to the starter or from the battery to ground. You can have the starter tested for free at a parts store. I hope my suggestions help.

75

Thanks a lot but like if I go somewhere and I cut the car off when I try it again it won't start unless I let it sit for like a hour

75

Some people saying it has something to do with the wiring could that be possible?? Tracy

26,625

I wonder if the starter is failing. It's been a long time but I have seen a starter get hot just from being near the exhaust and not working until it cooled off. The extra boost of amperage from a jump-start being just enough to get it to crank. A trick we used to do in the old days was to hit the starter with a hammer and try to start it. It used to work sometimes. The best way to diagnose your concern is with a high current Ammeter - to watch what's happening when you try to crank the engine. Even if it starts - the excess draw will show up.

75

Ok thank you Tracy