Does my car have a carburetor or not?

40

Asked by Jun 03, 2013 at 01:07 AM about the 1983 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

As I mentioned a while back, I have a 1983 Crown Victoria LTD.  It's got a 5.0, but I've also noticed that it says CFI.  I know that CFI means Central Fuel Injection, but I'm still wandering if that means if I have a carburetor in it or not.  I know it has police interceptor parts to it, but that doesn't do anything to answer my question I know.  Can someone shed some insight into this for me?  Thanks.

25,025

CFI = Central Fuel Injection. It has a throttle body that looks similar to a carburetor but in fact has 2 injectors centrally located on the manifold that feed the engine. Most Police Interceptors for that era have 5.8L (351W) motors and a VV carburetors.

40

Thanks Tracy. I'm looking closer at what it was saying and I misread it. I saw CFI, but it's vin F 302 ci. However, I'm noticing now TBI. Does that mean anything?

25,025

Throttle Body Injection - Same thing. Po-ta-to / pot-ato

25,025

Port Fuel Injection has an individual injector either in the intake manifold or the head that is aimed directly at the intake valves. Direct Injection shoots the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. TBI/CFI sprays pulses of fuel onto the throttle plates and mounts exactly like a carburetor.

40

So no carburetor then? And does my car have points on it? I had a 73 Buick that had points on it. Not really fond of 'em. Hope not. I'm thinking it doesn't, but I'm not sure. Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. Just have a mind that's racing at a late hour and trying to relax it before I go to bed.

25,025

No problem. No, points went out right after '73 for most vehicles. Your '83 may be equipped with the Ford EECIII (pronounced eek-three) system though. EECIII is the third generation Electronic Engine Control (EEC) system that every Ford Tech familiar with it loathes. It's a 9 volt system and a bear to diagnose. If it has the EECIV system - it's a keeper. The VECI (Vehicle Emissions Control Information) sticker under the hood will tell you if it's EECIII or EECIV. I personally spent a week at a Ford Training facility in Milpitas, CA on these systems - of course it was back in 1988.

40

Damn Tracy...you've been a big help. Of course, I'll worry about the EEC setup, but at least no points. I HATED points with a passion. Thanks again.

25,025

You're quite welcome. Tracy D. Hooks on Facebook. You can see what I work on for a living.

40

Oh nice!!!! You could work on mine. I wouldn't mind. :D Actually, trying to fix it up for my girlfriend when she gets here next year. Oh, but I'm gonna be riding it too no doubt! Vehicle will be in my name so I better. :)