88 cougar xr7 5.0

Asked by Feb 18, 2017 at 03:39 AM about the 1988 Mercury Cougar

Will a 5.0 Cobra HO engine fit my 88 cougar XR7
5.0? Im tryna make my cougar gain HP and Sound
bad ass amd loud with super 10 flowmaster. I also
bought my car mustang cobra rims and cobra
spoiler. So does anyone know if it will fit.

83,795

Sounds bad ass. I don't see why not. Same year engines, same size engines. Should be able to make it work.

293,325

I would have asked the question before you bought the parts. Good Luck on the transformation. The Cobra rims might be 5 lug. The cougar used 4 lug. You can easily convert buy purchasing new axles and drums if you have drum brakes vs disc on the rear, and new spindles for the front. Frequent some Mustang and cougar forums for more info.

116,135

I put a Cougar engine in a Mustang and it went right in and bolted up, so I don't see why it won't work, you may have to do a little engine management system work but nothing a good reprogrammer can't handle, unless yo happen to have the processor for the Mustang then it should just swap out. As far as wheels, to make is permanent you will need too change hubs and axles, but as a temp you may still be able to find adapters that went from 4 lug Ford to 5 lug Ford pattern if that is the setup you have. Good luck.

Tom, My Cougar is 4 lug and the Cobra Rims I bought it are 4 lug as well. They fit on perfectly. Just installed them with new GT tires and the spoiler also fit on perfect. Now I just need to Swap the Engine to the 5.0 Cobra and also still buy the Flowmaster Super 10. Other than that, Im also gonna try buying it 88 black leather mustang seats. Does anyone know if those will fit?