my 1979 cougar won't stay running until it gets warm or hot

Asked by Jun 06, 2014 at 12:20 AM about the 1979 Mercury Cougar

I had the carb rebuilt it was running finee until the other day  . now it won't run or idol until
it get hot  or to the O in normal on the temp gauge

94,965

Sounds like your carb job went bad, possibly a small piece of varnish that didn't get cleaned out properly found it's way into an idle port.

10

Sounds like the Motorcraft Electronic automatic choke pull-off is stuck shut. You may notice black exhaust if you try to give it gas before it stall out. The choke plate stays shut and starves the engine of air, then the shutdown. Take it off clean the choke assembly, make sure there is current to the wire on the choke assembly, often these wires break inside the insulation. Once cleaned and powered adjust the choke bode till the engine idles as you want it to. Also adjust the fast idle kickoff at this time, or you'll have a roaring too eager engine in park. Hope this helps.