I have a 1975 Mercury Cougar XR7 with Landau top.

10

Asked by Jul 12, 2013 at 02:02 PM about the 1975 Mercury Cougar

Has been parked on street since then.  She put putted around in it for 37 years to and from the grocery store.  

Has vinyl 1/2 top and leather seats.  WAS mint.  Now paint isn't great anymore.  Pointy nopse has some damage, but otherwise, it is in great condition.  We had 1500 dollars work on it when we took possession, brakes power steering, air conditioning, tune up and like.  How much do we ask for it?  We live in So Cal and are thinking of giving it to Kars for Kids or something for a tax write off.  Don't want the hassel of selling.

217,045

Probably worth around $1500 to the right buyer if you sell it.

10

Don't want to sell it. Want to give it to someone for a tax write off. $1599 is what we got it for in the will. Had to give $1000 to his bro and sis and then put $1500 in mechanics... Where could I get an assessment so I can get a tax write off? Thank you so much for answering. The inside is great and it is only minimally bad on the outside... Only an owie (small) on the nose. Has all its stuff in good condition. You should see the hood ornament...

217,045

Google and or check your local listings for a "Classic car apprassial" company or individual.

Best Answer
35

Check kbb.com & edmunds.com for values in your area.

10

Thank you for your simple but obvious answer! I will google more effectively with it! At times a person is too close to the problem to see clearly. I have insurance and am going to fix the scratches in the paint and have the nose hammered out!! Think will get my husband to do the Craigslist thing, and I will show it. Thank you again for being kind enough to speak up!

10

Kbb and Edmonds don't go back that far online...

10

Bottom line, I believe if it were detailed and those stinking skateboarders damage were made right, I might get $13,000 for it....

10

I feel it's too nice of a car to be junked. It just needs the right owner to love it!

1,355

It's not a real desired car and maybe post a picture to show more, you'll be lucky to get $5000. you can pick up a great shape 75 Corvette for 13K!

10

Paul, thanks for the reality check. I guess I am putting too much stock in sentimentality.

1,355

I get attached to cars too! but to most people they are just problems waiting to cost them money!! Many charities will just junk them out, and in CA you may be able to find a restorer type person that wants. Advertise it high and slowly bring it down -- you never know! and do get it detailed -- all it takes is Shiny And Clean and someone will buy it!( Sales manager proved that to this mechanic years ago) good luck!

10

Yeah, you're right. We just can't own 5 cars with 2 people and neither of us want to drive it. Cars in those days had no visibility! When you get down to it, I am not sure it is an XR7, it's just the pics look like that. It's under the hood and other than the skateboard and worn landau top, IT GOES like a bat out of hell! A little hesitation, and then it is off!

10

I do know it is the first year that body for that make and model came out and grandfeathers got it for grandma and it had the biggest engine, because that'a how grandfeathers wanted it!

217,045

Patty, I read some more of your posts and wanted to add some more. Paul is right, even though the car is old and has sentimental value, it is all in what someone will pay for it. The guides I use are listing Avg. retail around $5000, and low retail at $2800. Hence is price of $5K to start. You can list it for more if you want, maybe someone will pay you more. We are Cargurus and only pay for vehicles for what they are worth. Since it has condition issues, I was quoting you a realistic price for a private party sale without seeing the car. A new paint job will cost a few grand BTW, some buyers factor that in. FYI: I personally wouldn't pay for an apprassial and just sell it instead of donating, as your tax right off won't help that much. Mercury made the Cougar's from 1967 -2002. Your model is the III generation ('74-'76). Remember, just because it is old, doesn't mean it is worth anything. It has to have a demand. Good Luck and HTH's.

105

There is some demand for those Cougars. They are small dollar classic cars that people will buy to have fun with. Here is a link to one for sale at a classic car dealer for $7,900. http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1975-Mercury-Cougar- 181061.xhtml?conversationId=464198 I would suggest going to a classic car site like Hagerty to get an idea of the cars value. http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch Good Luck.

10

Paul, thank you. I llooked at a Youtube on a car exactly like it and it had rust in the wheelwells, Ours certainly don't nor rust in any out out the way places. What do you think that we will be able to do on the paint and nose to make them right? Is it worth it? I have a car paint and body place that does cars like Jay Leno's... One other, flat out said no. Good old economics of supply and DEMAND. I will remember that. The children referred to it as the "Pimpmobile" so we renamed it the "Pitmobile". We understood it was the first run year of that body model. Thanks for disabusing my mind.

10

xr7gt390 Thanks but the link does't work.

105

Sorry about that, the car was for sale at country classic cars in IL. I went to their web page & couldn't find it. They do have a 1974 for sale. http://www.countryclassiccars.com/html/spcars_316.htm

10

No apologies needed. Thanks for answering.

HI IM FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE,i as reading about the cae u have and i am looking for a cougar xr7 with a shift on the console between the seats m a 351 engine , i was wondering how much u r looking for it as is no need to be perfect , it was the first car i owned in high school ,love to hear from you thank you in advance

10

Fernrod, thanks for asking. I ended up selling this sweet vehicle (that lived in So Cal all its life) to the body guy I hired to fix the hood. Last spring, someone used the hood and fender as a skateboard ramp. I was really less than happy, but am glad to have finally sold it.

1,225

These are FANTASTIC cars to drive once you get a few little issues sorted on them. It is even possible to get phenomenal gas mileage out of them. My brother had a 79 Thunderbird (same car, different body details), and he managed 40 miles to the Imperial gallon, or about 35 to the American. Parts are also dirt cheap and readily available. I have had 4 of the Thunderbirds and would love to find a Montego or Torino wagon for my next car.

I have a 1975 cougar xr7 all original that I'm trying to sale, anyone has any ideas of were to sale