I tried to get a CARFAX report on a 1972 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible, but too old. How can I get a vehicle history on this age of car?

Asked by Jul 11, 2017 at 09:45 PM about the 1972 Mercury Cougar

My brother in law recently purchased a '72 Cougar XR7. He was not aware that he could get a CARFAX report on used cars. When I told him I could get him one, I was disappointed to find out that they only do reports on cars manufactured in 1981 or later. Is there any information I can get, even if it is when/where the car was built and the # produced- it would be helpful. Thanks, Don

79,365

Try a Marty report for the build information. Most of this cars history was long before computerized records so don't expect to find any records after it left the factory.

125

Kevin Marti can get you the vehicle information, selling dealer & initial owner. From there you need to be a car detective to figure out the rest. There were no standard VIN's back then which made it difficult to create a database. I would also look at the Cougar Car Club of America. They have some helpful links and databases along with Cougar experts.