estate sale barn find pair of 1969 Cougars

10

Asked by Sep 14, 2011 at 09:55 AM about the 1969 Mercury Cougar

I recently bought a pair of 1969 Cougars- both stored in a barn in Virginia, one since 1985 and the other since 1988. one is a survivor, nice original interior and even still has the factory plastic on the back seat! nice and straight and solid, original paint would buff up and look decent but not show. has a 351 Windsor 2bbl AT. not even any rust blisters under the vinyl top. the second one is an XR7, good interior and solid body but whacked hard in the driver's door. came with a spare door... there's some involvement in the striker plate area and front of the rear quarter, dent in LF fender too but not the door post. unsure of the engine but as far as I could tell in the recesses of the barn it appears to be another 351 Windsor. I'm probably going to sell one and keep the other, would appreciate any feedback on which car is more desirable- the survivor or the XR7
Thanks

65

The XR7 is the more optioned car and worth a little more but the survivor sounds like a lot less work.Which ever is going to be less work is the car I would do and let the other car pay for it

do you care more about what the car you keep is worth in the end or are you looking for a cruiser? It sounds like the survivor is going to cost a whole lot less to get up to a weekend cruiser than the xr7. if they are both in the same condition the xr7 is worth more. it's going to take thousands in body work to get it right not counting whatever else has to be fixed. i've got a 67 hard top with an a code 289 that someone that didn't know as much as they thought they did rebuilt then parked. i'm not even having to machine the engine but am sinking at least 2k to get it running to see what else will come up. i expect to have as much as 12k in the car when it's done (it will be right, though. new front end, floor pans, stripped to the metal and all new metal body work and a good paint job.) after all that that's probably as much as the car would sell for. what i'm getting at is what are your intentions and what is your budget. if you think you'll fix either of them up to sell at a profit you will most likely be disappointed unless you really "stole" them. I'd take the path of least resistance and fix the base model (the 351w was probably an option in that car but i'm not sure. i thought the base package had a 302 in 69). If money and time didn't matter to me i'd fix the xr7 i'd probably drive the other one until it was finished if money wasn't a factor.