vacuum assist brake problem

5

Asked by Aug 15, 2012 at 09:55 PM about the 1968 Mercury Cougar

I have a 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7. The brakes hardly work(very hard ) The lines, wheel cylinders and
master cylinder are all new. the engine is rebuilt and has a low end cam in it. How can I test the
booster --- or how can I find where the problem is???? rbgougar

16,255

is there any change in feel of the pedal from engine off to engine on? a hard to press pedal is the symptom of a failed brake booster. May also be acompanied by a large vacuum leak. Make sure the hose to it is intact. There is also a 1 way valve on it that can fail. Usually the booster goes.

Best Answer
5

Thank you Andrew for this answer ---- it worked. Thanks you CAR GURUS and all those involved. rbcougar