Can I supercharge my 2001 v6?

45

Asked by Sep 28, 2008 at 07:40 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Camaro

I was wondering if I could supercharge my 2001 3.8 v6.  What would be price of it, and what kind of a boost would it be. Thanks in advance.

9,965

You are going to have to custom build one. I am not aware of anyone that makes one.

75

yes you can there are many companys that make them like jackson superchargers, stillen chargers, and a few others look on line for them youll find them

315

you should pull out a 4.3 supercharged engine out of the GMC Cyclone if u can find one. idk if it'll bolt right in there might have to be some fabrication work done but that engine is badass.

9,965

Although Jackson and Stillen do offer superchargers, what I think Jordan wants is a bolt on system designed for his car which NOBODY offers. If you are open to proving me wrong, please do.

355

Syclones and Typhoons came with turbochargers. How about a supercharger off of a 3800 FWD? like a park ave ultra or a monte carlo SS?

355

alos the 4.3 will not work in place of a 3.8 unless you changed the transmission.

315

well i stand corrected... and u might be right u might be able to pull that supercharger off and use it on a camaro 3.8 that would be worth doing some research on.

355

the issue will be space i know tolerances are tight in the back of the egine and the firewall. Also there is the whole idea of HOW much boost do you want to make? is the motor going to stay stock internals? bottom end?

45

Ok, well im not a superchager guru so i really dont know how much of a boost I want. I just want one thats cheaper and works good.

355

how much faster do you want it?

315

i think it will be fine if it doesnt fit at first just take off the windshield cowling. but if ucan supercharge a LT1 or LS1 in the fbodys u can for sure do a 3.8 no problem

355

LSx F bodies could run a different style supercharger.

315

ya i looked at procharger what he could possibly do is buy the intercooler the supercharger and the oiling system from them and have someone make him a mounting bracket and intake tubing and find a custom belt.

45

I realy just want a boost in horsepower. I'll praticaly take any kind of boost it dont matter to me.

9,965

Yeah, he could even modify an STS Remote Mount Turbo System. I am sure that would be easier. Just some minor duct work modifications. The problem will be getting the computer tuned for the forced induction. It will have to be custom tuned. Possible?

355

personally i think remote turbo systems are junk, you have to run oil lines all the way back there and boost all the way up, you lose a lot that way.

9,965

Great to have your opinion offered Rich, but I was not under the impression anyone asked it. They have proven performance, and all turbos and almost all superchargers require oil lines to be ran to them. As long as they are protected and properly hooked up, you do not lose any oil. Atleast with the remote mount setup you do not increase the under hood temperatures.

355

i know how they work and all that. I've seen a few in my day. I guess if my opnion is not wanted then i will just quit replying. I was not bashing you i was just kinda playing the devil's advocate, because i am not a huge fan of Squires Turbo Systems.

315

ya ive also seen a few in my days too, they seem to work really well actually like michael said they do reduce the underhood temp, as well as the temp of the air going into the intake, as well as the turbo temp, u dont lose much boost, maybe a pound if that. the quickest street LT1 in KC has a STS setup. hes pushing over 700whp on a 355 low compression engine, with 25psi. so for u to say thier junk would be like calling a procharger junk. their just different means of forced induction. in the end a 3.8 camaro is overall going to be a hard engine to get forced induction on in any circumstances even though i do agree with michael the sts might be the best route to go because u can do a custom exhaust for it then have some make custom intake tubes to get the boost there. otherwise ur looking at different heads and different ecu's different belts, and different pulley's just to accomadate a supercharger.

9,965

This question was asking for advise, not opinion. Personally I try to steer clear of those that do want opinions. Me personally, I am more old school. V8's, twin-screw superchargers, and nitrous. Reliable American power. I was just providing options for Jordan, since there is not a direct bolt-on.

45

I'm asuming all of this is going to be extremely expensive

315

sts's universals start from 1500 to 3500 then u gotta find someone who can make ya the new exhaust piece probably 500 being its small so maybe even cheaper then find someone to make u a custom intake probably same guy can just use some rubber boots and clamps and some pieces of tubing right up to the intake. so maybe 4500 at the most if u go with sts's stage 3 universal. so not to terribly much the tuning will be another 500 after all that. but u will have atleast a 350whp machine. so in my books worth it kinda, but at that price id just build a honda lol. at 300 whp they beat my trans am on the highway. im pretty stock so i got about 305whp maybe. id go turbo honda if u had the budget it'd be worth it.

9,965

I am sure we all appreciate you wise and persuading input, but most of these are high school kids driving the cars their parents gave them. They are trying to get buy with what they have. Quit being a jerk.

9,965

Unfortunately, you have no such satisfaction. I just think you should be more considerate of others. And also, "you have seen my cars?" I find that funny, since I only started taking pictures of my cars about 5yrs ago. You sound like a simple minded high school senior who apparently is trying beef up one part of his ego, since the girls are laughing at the other part. Oh, FYI, I have owned 68 Camaro 350, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Cheyenne Super, 85 Camaro IROC, and an 89 Ford Ranger with a 5.0 Cobra motor just to name a few that I did not put on here. All of which I purchased with no help from my parents. I enjoy how people like to be insulting and degrading on here, but that is not the purpose of this site. If you cannot be respectful of others you do not need to be on here.

45

Wow i'd love to have any of those cars.

25

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=7536 list of v6 parts. and someone who has supercharged there v6 http://savedalone.com/camaro/index2.html

6,955

nice ride... i was thinking of sts too. you should get posi too to handle all that power. from owning a 3800, the supercharger might be too big for the firewall. the v6 has just an inch or two clearance from the firewall.