My van sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't,,,what could it be?

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 02:59 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Venture

based on your question; I am sorry to report, it could be far beyond your skill set to even attempt to tell you where to start.

Does it crank? Could be many issues. In order for a car to start you need air, fuel and spark. You probably have air, you will need to determine if you have spark and or fuel pressure. Do you know what to look for?

Tom - your answers have shown me to avoid safety related areas of advice unless it appears that the asker has already the basic knowledge and has say- done pads before but maybe not calipers .I will also only answer "What could it be?" questions with it : Could be ..x or y or z.......,tell me what you have already inspected. If they had no idea where to start then my answer will only be: " Please ask around (friends,Better Business Bureau, etc.) ; pick a shop;get a written quote. How can I say check the oil,check the rad etc. if they don't know how to open the hood?