Climate Control/Heating

10

Asked by Mar 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM about the 1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Bought an Eldorado last year and it has driven like a dream. Only has 37,000 miles. This morning I got up cranked the engine, it sputtered (something it never did before) and then the heater blew cold air ... even at 90 degrees. The sputtering stopped, but the cold air did not. I live in a rural community and not sure the local mechanics will be familiar with this issue. Any suggestions?

5,105

So the car is 30 years old. It probably has a leaky hose or gasket that has 1.) either caused the coolant to leak or, 2.) has caused the coolant to evaporate. I would check WHEN THE VEHICLE IS COLD, the coolant level. Usually when there is an issue with the heating such as you describe its just a little low on coolant. Not enough to set off the "dummy lights" or cause the car to overheat but enough to cause the heat to blow cold. The other thing is it could be a simple thermostat fix (The part is $10-$15 at any auto parts store). I am confident this is a simply DIY fix though, great find! I love finding older cars that are very well taken care of or maintained! Best of luck Jim!

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Jim! Thanks so much for your input! The car really is a gem. Coolant makes sense, as there has been a small puddle under the car. I will be on the case this afternoon! Have a great week!