I have a 1973 Cadillac sedan DeVille and I'm having problems with my tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights and signals. I have power coming from all the lights but they still don't work.

Asked by Dec 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM about the 1973 Cadillac DeVille

When I turn on my signal switch the tail lights come on but when I hit the brakes the lights goes off. I'm confused....

yes but the GROUND doesn't...you must trace the black battery cable to where it attaches to the frame/ground...disassemble and wirebrush the lug (use a pliers to hold to avoid damage) and the chassis too....till shiny and comfortable with a 300 cold cranking amps connection (the thing that made it corroded in the first place) ...bulbs will be able to complete the ground circuit...you could verify by using a multi-meter at the black battery terminal, then test the ground will have limited voltage...this is why you must wirebrush them clean~

70,815

Sounds like you've got the wrong bulb in there. Should be bulb #1157. These have offset tangs on the side of the bulb to prevent it from being installed wrong in the socket. I've seen people remove these tangs or force the bulb in the socket the wrong way and break the tangs off. HTH. -Jim

15

I had a similar problem in my 60 Buick. It turned out to be badly corroded contacts in the turn signal switch. I was able to take my switch apart and clean it up real good to fix the problem Good Luck, BuzGuy