MY CHEVY IMPALA 2002 IS OVERHEATING AFTER REPLACING THE WATERPUMP AND FLUSHING

5

Asked by Mar 12, 2016 at 07:28 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala

I recently purchased this car and the owner stated she flushed the radiator when she had to replace the water pump it may be due for an oil change but there is no oil currently in the oil. The car runs turns over and all immaculately but I don't understand what the problem is ot overheats after about 30 mins of driving but does not necessarily leak antifreeze. It was boiling in the reservoir tank yesterday as well as leaked a stream of antifreeze and smoking.

65,135

Better take it in and have someone look at it. Sounds like the thermostat has ben stuck shut not allowing the flow of coolant. But if the car has ben getting over heated, chances are the heads are warped now causing a bad head gasket.

5

I took it to a mechanic who runs a shop out of his home. He stated there is no antifreeze in the oil the engine sounds great he stated he did the pressure test at 14 and it shows there is a leak somewhere. The heat in the car works excellently. No antifreeze leaking that is visible. He says he think its leaking and burning off on the tailpipes but i have never seen white smoke coming from my tailpipe while it was running or otherwise. How accurate do you think he is or should i get a different opinion. Oh and thank you for help it is very much appreciated from those of us who are not mechanically lol.

65,135

You mentioned that after 30 min. of driving it gets hot. Are the fans coming on for the radiator? Also, the guy who did a pressure check on the coolant system is showing something. If he couldn't see any visible leaks, the pressure has to be bleeding off somewhere. Everything you have described doesn't sound bad enough to cause the motor to be getting hot. So the only thing I can think of is if the fans are not turning on at the radiator, or the thermostat should be changed. Maybe give your local mechanic there work on changing the thermostat out, and have him check the fans out. He knows you are having a problem with it getting hot, sometimes when a persons is working on something they can figure out what the problem is. Thats the way it works for me a lot of the time.

5

I was thinking the same thing, I do believe my thermostat gets stuck because from time to time the air is cold in the car when its been moving long enough to be warm but when it does come on it is hot as ever. I dont know how or when the fans should come on once the engine is running but i do know they do not come on as soon as i turn my car on because ive opened the hood to see however i dont know how long it takes for them to come on. The mechanic i took it to ive mentioned these things to him and he told me the fans dont come until the car gets to about 212 degrees and that hes tested all this stuff but my problem is it doesnt make since and i had this same problem with a grand am just last year and $1500.00 and 1month later i had to junk the car because i used my last to fix by dealing with dishonest sheisty ass people and i really dont have it to do again i have children to support no money to waste especially not the 400-1000 dollars he said it could cost me to have this done.

If the car is running hot it will be the intake gasket to check crank up the car and spray some brake cleaner around intake the car will die down then u will no if its a leak or the water pump or thermostat dis car is famous for those issues that will cause u a new engine