My car keeps shutting off when idle..

110

Asked by Feb 15, 2013 at 05:44 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala

I just had my mom mechanic replace it
with a used tranmission, im assuming..
and afterwards its been shutting off..
whenever im on breaks or, it stutters
for then cranks right back up.. I just
had my oil change because I thought
that was the problem  sense it was
past due..  Any suggestions?? It didnt
start doing this until he replaced my
transmission... where is my fuel pump/
filter located btw...

110

Excuse my errors..on cellphone..

Fuel pump and filter are inside the gas tank. And no, even if overdue, oil change has nothing to do with it ..as far as the rest of your question, the stalling, hopefully somebody will come by to help you on that. Without the car I have no clue

110

Its a 2002 chevy impala

there is a link that goes from the throttle to the kickdown on the transmission. perhaps this was adjusted a little loose?....or tight, depends on your geometry there.

1,005

Idle air control sensor. carbon build causes this problem

95

Maybe the mechanic left a vacuum line of the transmission .

80

hi im a mechanics student have you checked your coolant temp sensor? that can cause most of the symptoms youve decribed

50

I just love everything impala but I'm in a predicament now with my two...I bought two with my skool money....one is a 2001 Base it came with bad transmission but I put a lot of fluid and Lucas it worked for 3months but eventually jus stopped after 5min of driving...

50

The second is an 05ls but recently it jus started shaking violently wen I try to start it and jus dies.....on the highway it said hot coolant...doesn't let me go certain speed..it

875

fergie is right on this answer ,, even though you had the trans work done its probably not even related it sound to me to be a dirty throttle body . this is common in all cars now days , so when your comeing to a stop it wants to die , and sometimes it take time to restart unless you have your foot on the throttle , and if you turn the air conditioner its even worse , What you do is take some carb cleaner or even brake cleaner get a rag get it wet with the chemical while car is off open the throttle plate and clean all the black stuff off. then spray the throttle plates off with a little more cleaner and then restart vehicle, Note : it will be hard to start but just hold pedal down to get it started as if it is flooded and dont rev it high to damage anything , try this its only 9 dollars to fix the problem for the cleaner.

130

my 2003 impala is doing the same only my car will die while driving 35 mph. so far we have replaced, cam sensor, crank shaft sensor, mass air flow and last week it was the main ignition module - all new parts. the car was better for a few days then boom It started all over again only this time it stalls out more often. so far the cost has been over $600 in parts & labor. back to the drawing board.

20

I also have a 1998 Nissan maxima and does the same the RPM goes up and down and then it dies but turns on right away, All this started when I had my transmission changed, could this be a trans problem? they told me it was the ignition coils $100 each and that did not fix anything

20

@JOHNBench My 2008 Kia Rio is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever figure out what it was?

20

I have a 2002 Chevy impala and only when I come to a stop it shakes. Nothing else really wrong just the shaking and check engine light on. Idk what the problem is and just had a tune up and engine/transmission worked on. Help please

10

04 CRANKS UP RUN WELL UNTIL I PUT IN DRIVE IF it STAYS CRUNK IT SHUT OFF WHEN IM TURNING L OR R.

10

replace the fuel relay if this only happens once in a while

I advice everyone to to contact corporate office regarding the car issue. With the issue of everything you've replace on your car an when u take you place your foot on the break petal your car cuts off. For me its a safety issue because i have kids. An almost got hit an couldn't turn the wheel an cut on my emergency lights. Without the help of the knowledge an letting corporate know the issue they cant issue a recall.