2002 Impala passlock / security light problem

Asked by May 10, 2008 at 08:21 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala

Is there a known repair for the security light/passlock problem that causes Impala and other GM products not to start for 10 to 30 minutes? If it's replacing the BCM at $500 that's fine, I just want to know that it will work. Thanks.

43,945

Does this have the PASSkey ignition system, with the little resistor button in the key, or does it have an RF chip in the head of the key which you can't see?

465

I wouldn't look at the BCM with passlock it could be a ignition issue or a the passlock cotrol module your gonna need a scan tool or you need to find the electrical values and ohm them out

345

I had the same problem with my impala and what i did was go in though the radio in the settings area and reset the FOB and the car started fine but i did have to get a new ignition put in the car not the BCM

140

I am having the same problme with my 2001 Impala LS. Unfortunately, this problem is not limited to Impalas nor Chevys, but is a GM wide issue. The first thing to try to replace is the ignition switch (not the whole ignition, just the electronics). It's a little pricey at the dealership, but for those that are technically inclined, the part is relatively inexpensive. If that does not solve the problem, the Body Control Module (BCM) will need to be replaced (500-600 dollars) and that will also need to be programmed at the dealer (or by any mechanic that has the proper equipment). Even after all that is done, it is only a temporary fix per se. GM in a Technical Service Bulletin to its dealerships admits that after replacing all the components of the PassLock 2 system, that the problem can recur. I have heard stories of it recurring within a year to 2 of the initial repairs. Anyway, time for me to find a new ignition switch and see if that is where my problem lies. Best of luck

270

Here's the "fix" I just did for my 99 tahoe. Took the cover off the steering column, unplugged the sensor from the cylinder *while* the car was running. it's a 3 wire plug red w/ white, orange w/black and yellow. From then on, the car will always start and ignore the sensor. The only negative is the security light stays on. But, I plan to just remove the bulb. Replacing the BCM only postpones it from happening again. Check out the following links. As an electrical engineer, I also believe there is an inherent design flaw because there are too many issues reported. Good luck. http://car.justanswer.com/for/ce07-bypass-lock-sensor-1998-chevy-tahoe http://general-motors.pissedconsumer.com/gm-passlock-ii-system-has-major-inherent-design-flaws-20080502119601.html

320

I took a 2002 impala to chevy dealer for no start condition (would start and run for about 1 second) dealer put a jumper wire in fuse box on side of dash ....connected (pcm) fuse and (bcm) fuse...car started and ran fine after that.

425

what did you have to do through the radio to rest the FOB iam having the same problem but only after replacing the battery

340

Thank you!!!!! I changed the FOB Light setting to OFF and it started right up. Been having this issue intermittently for years. Haven't had it for more than 6 months and then today. Argggh! I was going to beat my car with a bat! Then I googled & found this post. The dealer thought I was just a stupid girl who didn't know what I was talking about and brushed me off because they couldn't duplicate the problem. They can suck it!!! Thank you. I love the Internet!

340

good afternoon, excuse my ignorance that is, which is light or fob

240

i have a 2002 chevy impala my radio display lock. theres two locks on the door the one that says lock thats the one that opens up all the doors and the lock that opens up that only door i think the problem started by me locking the door the one that locks one door but the window was open and i open the door us and i heard a clicking noise on the passengers panel side then i tried using the lock button to stop the noise didnt work so then i tried to turn on car but it didnt turn on

99,235

"How to fix it" from Grand Am Owners Club - http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139899

60

When my 2002 chevy impala don't start, I turned my key to OFF position, then turn the key to ON..don't try to start it...just turn it to ON...let it flash thru change oil, coolant, battery, security, security, security. When it gets to only change oil,coolant, battery, security, turn key to OFF position & then start car. Takes 10 minutes to go thru it.

30

Buy a new ignition cylinder or clean contacts as I did. If you clean contacts on cylinder BEWARE the harnesses that plug in back hold buss bars in so if u unplug then take black plate off they will fly everywhere and be stuck like I was. My car wouldn't crank LITERALLY every two cycles but now over 1000 cycles and about 3 months now not the first problem. The passlock system is saying no key in ignition, because resistance isn't right well if your ignition contacts are oxidized like mine its the same issue. If you try this and cant get ignition contacts back in correct it will not crank mine flew in air because I didn't know harnesses hold them in and they have to be perfect before plugging back in. May be easier to change cylinder. Takes about 1 hour to take dash apart. Full dash piece comes off, 7mm screws I believe and Metal piece under dash will need 10mm and long ext. If you are in the middle of something and have to drive turn signals wont work without dash piece on due to emergency lights being there.

10

I heard and am attempting this fix: determine when the battery failed or whatever caused the key to prompt a security code, measure the bcm signak resistance to the pcm since it has "relearned" a different one in the time it takes to incorrectly reset to the assumed same as the oem key resistance. Inline it to the wire responsible from the switch of ignition with silder and heat shrink and try the same key, being careful not to fuel lockout by trying too many times turning a 4 second wait into continuous frustrating 9 instead of ten min or more intervals. If start is not delayed ten or so minutes the securoty ;ockout time when the car wont start restarts to ten or more minutes from the last attempt. So take a break and pray that in 15 it starts and that the resistor is in the basement computer so that by measuring both the newly set resistance and the fuses you are guessing match when inlining i yo yj wie responsible for pcm recieving the bcm stored reading. Unfuse the airbag too or you may die or lose even more money. Just in case your car senses a surge in the wrong area and a broken car is totalled at $700 per bag.

50

You can turn off ur security thru your stock car radio

20

Imnotright is correct above. Here also is comments I saved almost a month ago that had me clean all contact points. Guess what? This is also a similar fix if the drivers window controls aren't working. They also had oxidized or burned marks on them to clean off. They have worked perfectly since. "I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out. This involves removing the dashboard and the metal panel below the steering wheel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKR_n-bGtA Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Before removing both covers, make sure you are doing so in a box in case the pins and springs pop out and roll away. Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.

20

How could it be an ignition or bcm problem if changing the battery is what causes it in most cases

Gm motors have issues with padlock security and I have witnessed it but would like to know if anyone has had issues with 2000 chevy impalas having the alternator showing as that could be the issue?

I jumped my starter at the starter car ran fine I got home from 150 miles​ aaway