DIC- Driver Information Center, Dash keeps flashing ?

5

Asked by Feb 24, 2011 at 08:48 PM about the 1988 Cadillac Allante

Hi, glad to be a new member. When I start my Allante the DIC checks all the car systems, at the end of this it displays different messages at different times. sometimes it says systems ok, other times it says low washer fluid when its full, and then almost always says service electrical system. then on the dash it says Engin control system fault, and sometimes also a picture of the battery with volts. I have been told that it is a short in a ground wire, or to replace the alternator couse it is sending the wrong voltage an altenator costa $ 150.00, having it diagnosised could cost up to $ 1000.00 ( $ 100.00 an hour ). Has anyone out there had this problem? If so what did you do? I would love to drive this car it is so cool I got it from my older brother after he died in Nov. 2010. Thank you for any help/info you can pass along.

20

I had the excact same problem and I found with the help of cadillacallanteclub.com that the wire going into the alternator had a broken tab and therfore did not make a good connection, I wedged a peice of wood to hold the wire in place and never had a problem again

20

5

Cool I will check that out and thanks for the reply.

10

Hi Check the ground connection. These cars require a seriously stable ground. If you still have the car....it's been almost nine months since you posted, this would be a place to start. I do not recommend putting wood or any other material as a wedge for a wire conection. Rather, I would recommend replacing the end connection if that is suspect and fix it correctly. i believe in the idea , "if you don't have time to fix it right the first time where will you get the time to do it over?" You can contact me at ss454_@hotmail.com if you have any other Allante questions Regards-- Bill

30

My '91 Allante giving me mixed signals.The L.E.D. dash indicators light up,but the info it puts out is false,fuel gauge moves from 1 pixel over half as i'm pumping gas the auto-fill pump shut off clicks 'full',then gas starts leaking out under the intake gas/tank area.I chose to run it as long as possible without re-fueling,when i didn't know if it ran out of feul or what.It began on one day,gassed up,it began stalling at idle,3 hours later this problem became worse,eventually not starting unless you high-rev it,then below 3k rpms stalled.Thats where i'm at.Plenty of gas coming from engine compartment,no start.Any help out there?Im paralyzed retired USAF,so some areas i cannot access.