how do you take the hubcap off?

Asked by Aug 24, 2012 at 05:56 PM about the 1985 Buick Skylark

trying to check the brakes and cant get the hub cap off, looks like there is a special tool after taking the little cap off of the center of the hubcap. impossible to pry the hubcap off. any answers?

247,395

Take the tire iron out of your trunk and use the end to pry it off. Use a little force and work you way around till it pops off.

68,735

If they're like the ones on my '93 Caprice, they're locking wheel covers. Your car would have originally came with a "key" that looks like a little wrench. This is used to remove the special bolt that holds the wheel covers on. You may still be able to get a replacement from the dealer. You'll need your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). The VIN will be on your registration. Given the car's age though the information may be no longer available. In that case you may have to drill out rhese special bolts & replace them with regular bolts. HTH. -Jim

7,415

i' d look for the key, like jim said. it should be in the trunk.. provided that nothing was thrown out. it is a metal part that looks like a mini wrench. it will unscrew a plastic lock nut under the removable cover of the center hub cap.