2002 Chevy cavalier over heating.

Asked by Jun 23, 2016 at 06:44 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have a 2002 Chevy cavalier that does not over heat
unless you run the air or sit to long. The fan is not kicking
on. Where should I start.

6,635

Start by disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor located on engine head behind alternator and run engine with sensor disconnected. Fans should run continuously. If they do, replace sensor. If fans still don't run, then we'll have to troubleshoot fans circuit

I took it off and it did nothing. I called Autozone he told me to use a paper clip and when I did that the tempature gadget went all the way up. So I am guessing it's not that. I really don't know what to to next.

6,635

That's not the sensor. Look for anotherone, the one u did is temperature indicator, there's another sensor that turns on the fans. It's called engine cooling sensor. Should be loacted o.ln the head somewhere

Believe this of not i had the same issue last summer my grandfather put 50/50 in my car to the exact marker line. Let the car run with the cap of to make sure it ciirculaes (if not its the water pump)after the car. Cooled down he put 50/50 to the line again. And believe it or not my fan has worked since. He also has a cavalier and he said he doesn't know why but if the 50/50 isnt measured exactly where it needs to be the thermostat doesnt read rt and the fan stays off. You might also take your themostat out and check it. Just put it in boiling water. If it opens its good if it doesn't open you need a new on.i knoe the 50/50 level sounds crazy bc i thought he was finally losing his mind but i swear to you it worked. .