Why doesn't my engine make any noise or start?

Asked by Jul 21, 2014 at 01:16 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

Yesterday I drove around for about an hour then came back home. Everything seemed
to be fine as I was driving it until I tried to park. I shifted my car to Park but as soon as
I took my foot off the brakes the car rolled forward. So I put my foot back on the brake
and it stop rolling, I lifted the emergency brake and took my foot off again and the car
still rolled forward. I was in the car with a friend who told me to switch places with them
so they can see what's going on but since I didn't want the car to roll away I turned it
off, which was a bad idea on my part. Now the car won't turn back on. When I put the
key into the ignition and turn it the air, radio and lights turn on but there's no noise from
the engine at all. The lights that come in on the dashboard are the Air Bag light and the
Check Engine light. Any ideas to what's going on and how much it would possibly cost
to fix it? I own a 2002 Chevy Cavalier.

185

Seems like the transmission is not in park. Try starting it in neutral.

185

Also, your emergency brake cable needs adjustment.

13,575

It sounds like what was said above. That also sounds like the shifter cable broke or the shifting mechanism needs to be looked at. A 14 year old car can have parts wear out, so a cotter pin may of dropped out and the shift linkage may of come off. Like whk109 said above, if the car is not in park, it will not start. It may take a tow to a garage to put it on a hoist, or a tow truck driver may be able to look and see if the linkage is still hooked up and get it neutral to start it. If you have the key on, the check engine light will come on until it is started.