How do you know if you need to replace your lifters and do you have to replace your cam?

5

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 06:01 PM about the 1964 Buick Skylark

Just curious, I don't like driving my car with that annoying tap and if worse come to worse, i'll have my lifters replaced.  I don't want to do any uneccessary repairs but I want my car to run at its best.

What engine? and mileage? need to know to give you accurate information. In a 1964, it's possible the cam lobes have worn to the point it might have to be replaced. But before you do anything, check the oil, and please also let us know when was last oil change and viscosity used, and petroleum or synthetic?

20,615

old g m cars were quite often adjustable hydraulics, oh remember those good old easy repairs, just while running, crank the rocker 9/16 center nut loose till clatter,then down till quiet,then 3/4 or 1/2 turn tighter as I prefer 1/2 to put the lifter plunger right in the oil pumping area, and ditto on a good oil with body to fill worn gaps!,

I remember jimmy. Ah, when there were distributors and breaker points adjusted with a matchbook paper if you didn't have feeler gauge, no timing light... time by ear if you didn't have a light gun...oh yeah, I do

20,615

yeah , David, the best automobile years ever was, now gone! ,And I remember saying" these cars are tough to figure out! "

5

Well here's the whole story, i'll keep it short. Buick 300 V8 with a 2 BBL Carb, 55k possibly has turn once, not sure but engine is very clean. Had a leak from oil pan and oil almost completely blew out on my way home, approximately 40 mile from start to finish. Once off freeway added 31/2 quarts and went an additional 3-4 mile to my house. It started to tap about 5 miles before I exited the freeway. After adding the oil it tapped for about 2 or 3 blocks and then the tapping stopped. Had the oil pan gasket replaced before driving it again consistantly until I added straight 50 weight oil and a can of engine restore. The has been no tapping for the past 3 days.