My 1964 Skylark convertible has a 300 WildCat engine and hgas a lifter tap that comes and goes, I started using straight 50 weight oil and the tap comes less often but still comes, how can I fix this?

5

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 05:20 AM about the 1964 Buick Skylark

Since using the 50 weight oil three days ago, I noticed that the tap w ent away the second day but came back that evening.  The third day when I started it up, no tapping, and throughout the day and evening no tapping.  Should I assume the tapping is gone for good or is there something I need to do since it started tapping in the first place?

246,855

I assume you only drive this car occassionally, a couple times a year. The tapping was probably due to not running the engine for extended periods of time and the oil not being up in the valve area. If it's OK now, no worries. It's a 50 year old engine, it will make a few noises.

68,655

My '66 Cadillac used to do that too. Sometimes it would tap. Sometimes it wouldn't. I drove the car 13 years like that. Keep up with regular oil changes, replace the PCV valve, inspect the PCV hoses for damage and clogging each time you replace the PCV valve, and keep the breather cap clean. This will insure that your crankcase stays as clean as possible. Driving the car more frequently will help too. This will help keep things lubricated. HTH. -Jim

if you stop running regular gas in the vehicle and start running super with the higher octane reading the tap should go away. I think it may have something to due with aluminum parts of the engine but I had a 300 with the same problem and found the 'premium' trick worked well?

I've been told, years back, the higher octane acted as some kind of a lubricant in the gas, for the engine. I started using the more expensive fuel and the noise was gone? Expensive fix but worth it with these older vehicles.