wheel bearings on a 1989 buick riviera 174k miles

7,015

Asked by May 20, 2009 at 01:44 PM about the 1989 Buick Riviera

....when do i change the bearings?? they are quite old.  tires are not showing any bad signs and bearings seem quiet.

4,665

I would say if you raise the car and with the wheel on the vehicle, tug the tire/wheel side to side and from top to bottom to make sure that there is no excessive play. If it was my vehicle and all checks out good, then the bearings are good and you should be able to keep using them. I believe the bearings are sealed for life, so as along as there is no damage to the seal or hub/bearing assembly, just keep an eye as you have been doing and you should be fine.

45

no need to worry about the bearings if they're quiet. bad bearings dont cause tire wear bad suspension and alignment components cause tire wear. for every 1/16th of an inch your toe is out causes your tires to drag 185 foot per mile

7,015

thanks guys! yeah.. the bearings are a sealed one piece and they cost alot! i'm surprised how long they have ran without any maintenance. amazing.