reinstalling points and condenser

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 12:13 AM about the 1965 Buick Riviera

I am switching back to points/condenser from electronic ignition and do not remember how to wire the coil to the ignition? Does the wire from the points go to the + or - side of the coil and what would wire to the other terminal?

100,485

From the points to the negative side of the coil, the other side of the coil is the power supply from the ignition switch. Was the system modified to use a 12 volt coil? If so you may have trouble keeping points in it, it will keep burning them up. If not your good to go.

Best Answer Mark helpful
73,805

65' has the 12 volt system.

Best Answer Mark helpful
100,485

Right Rowefast but the coils back then used a ballast resistor or resistor wire that dropped the voltage at the coil to around 9.6 volts engine running. So when a rig is updated to solid state they usually update the coil and wiring to 12 volt.

73,805

I think 65' & on up didn't have this...I had a 65' & a 66' Chevy, and don't remember that on those.

100,485

My old 69 chevy truck had a ballast resistor in it.

73,805

So now thinking about it you had to look to see if there was one or not. I manly remember them on the Dodge.

73,805

Say tennisshoes, it is a resistor wire, to the coil, that what is was, I was looking in the parts stores I use, no resistors for all these years but it is the wire. On your 69' truck I looked up also, I didn't see any resistor, but I remember in the day when the points were burning out was because someone rewired with reg. wire, so we would add a resistor in line. Dodge always had them by the fire wall. You had me curious...

100,485

That right Dodge had resistor on every model, and you were right about my Chevy, my Dad remembered why we put in the resistor, it was run over by a cat and shorted the wiring so we rewired it.