1974 gto

Asked by Nov 10, 2010 at 10:12 PM about the 1974 Pontiac GTO

Can you put a trans am shaker on a 74 gto or would you have to get a 74 gto shaker? Is there anyway to moddify it so it will work? I was thinking about putting a chevy engine in there because I don't really like the pontiac's one so could I still put the shaker on there or would the two engines be different sizes? Thanks.

you could put it on,but it want work,it would just be their for looks.

How can I get it to work? Would I have to put it back on my pontiac engine? Plus get a 74 gto shaker?

It would require a lot of work to get it to work right,engine dont matter as long as it is a 350 to a pontiac 455.if you can get the gto shaker,that would be the way to go,then you would not have to cut a hole in your hood,that is if you have a shaker hood.I would look into an aftermarket JUDGE hood about $300.00.

Could I do a 350 chevy engine for a 350 pontiac or would that not work? What would you need to do to get the trans am shaker to work?

why cant you put a 350 chevy engine in there? is it a different size or something?

YES,you can put the chevy 350 in it,everything will hook up,for the TA shaker,you would have to cut a hole in your hood,get the shaker with rubber attachted,vac lines,mounting brackets and a carb from a TA.

225

the Pontiac engine and the Chevy engine are two different breeds,,the mounts, the transmission don't match,,and the pwr steering,alternator etc mount differently too..Keep your Pontiac as it was built

10

The GTO shaker for 74 is taller than the t/a shaker. The carb to hood distance is different for the two cars, and the angle of the engine to the hood is different too. The lower cleaner base is the same. The GTO shaker is functional, which is nice. If you get a shaker, any shaker, you can fabricate the lower cleaner base and hook it up. If you go with a chevy engine, the hood to car distance, the front to back, side to side and hood to carb angle may change, which means more fabrication. All this changes if yoiu use an aftermarket manifold too. Find the shaker, make the measurements and start to fabricate. If you stay Pontiac, there are aftermarket air cleaner bases available; take a look at jim butler performance.

20

I have a trans am shaker on my 74 gto, but I also am using a holley street dominator manifold and 850 holley dp, so I needed the thinner base of the ta shaker. If using a checy Id look for a chevy air cleaner base from a 305 sbc equipped ta, and then use the pre 76 ta shaker, or the 74 gto shaker depending on which will fit under your hood. Id be intrested in the pontiac 350 engine for my GTO, if it is a WP code for a 4 speed, as Im taking the 462 poncho out and going back to stock 7one7-five five 7 -7six9zero