expertise needed!

Asked by Jul 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM about the 1971 Pontiac GTO

My husband passed away and I found this old GTO tucked away in a shed. I need help determining what motor is in this car. I've tried to run the VIN number but all the sites I've tried require a 17 digit numbers but mine is only 13. I've had people tell me it is a 400 and some say it is a 455. I really need to sell it but can't because nobody is for sure what is in it. I have gotten a few other numbers off the motor but I have't had any luck with running those. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

8,185

gtoforum.com will be able to help you out.

470

ill help you, and id be willing to get her running or possibly sell it, whatever you want to do.

contact phs-online.com you send them the vin as it is on the dash & $65.00 in return you will bget every bit of info like what engine & tranny, color, trim & every option that car was ordered with. well worth the money

the 71 came factory with the 455 with auto floor shift or 4 speed tranny.mam you do not want to sell this car,is a very rare car worth big money.if you do sell,please sell to a collector of this car.dont sell to any john doe on the street.dont get riped off eather you are setting on at least 15 grand as the car sits now.

the engine size is on the side of the block in raised numbers near the motor mount on either side it will either say 400 or 455 . the 400 engine was standard equipment & the 455 was an option.. the vin is 13 digits . there is also a 2 letter code on the front of the engine (example) YS,WT,YA,YE & so on. its located on the passenger side just under the head. that code will tell you the engine size & transmission that should be with that motor. check out YEARONE.COM its a parts catalog but it also has tons of info. but phs-online.com is your best bet! good luck

5,955

Trip65 is correct. The 400 CID engine was the standard power plant with the 455 CID an available option. Did you determine which engine you have? In either case, this car is worth saving and restoring - or selling to someone who will do it instead of parting out the car. Good luck.

20

Post your Vin and I can tell you everything you want to know about your car