Losing coolant.

Asked by Oct 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM about the 1968 Pontiac GTO

My 68 goat has been blowing out coolant. I found a small hole on the left side, upper third
of the radiator, patched it with J.B. Weld, seems to be holding. Changed the thermostat,
hoses are tight. Drove it a short distance last night, and AGAIN! it blew coolant all over
the hood liner, shut it off and heard a gurgling/boiling sound coming from my heater coil?
Could it be as simple as a radiator cap, or low coolant. Driving me crazy in Ohio. Thanks.

420

Check radiator hoses,If your radiator had a hole it might be time to replace it. Low coolant would not make it leak. It could be the cap.

1,435

make sure your radiator fins are not full of dirt and bugs, I would also take my thermostat out until I figured out what was going on -- Rad cap is a cheap and easy thing to start with -- is your temp gauge getting hot?

4,935

You've probably got air in the system. Your radiator cap needs to be the highest point in the system, and it needs to be working in order to bleed off the air. Make sure your upper hose doesn't have any part of it that's higher than the cap - the air will end up trapped there, stopping the flow of coolant and overheating the engine.