Chrome trim on hood scoop 1966 GTO?

Asked by Mar 22, 2012 at 04:59 PM about the 1966 Pontiac GTO

My 1966 GTO has a chrome trim piece on the front edge of the hood scoop. I have never seen another one and this one is a little rough. Any idea where to get one? Were they an aftermarket add- on? All the others I have seen are painted the body color of the car.

you would most likely( depending where you live) send it out to be chromed. they don't come that way.

or you could strip the chrome off and paint it.

Yes I thought about having it rechromed and as much as anything I wondered if perhaps the chrome trim was put on a ram air hood only or if it was just an aftermarket item that a previous owner purchased.

do you have a pic , if it's just a piece of trim it was mostly added they didn't come that way , ram air scoops were open to let the air in , is it open or closed ? 've never seen one with trim . there is a GTO picture site called ultimategto.com . 65-67 the hoods were the same with the exception of the holes for the arrow point,65 didn't have them.

I owned a 1966 GTO in 1974. I took the hood scoop piece and had it chromed at a local plating shop in Mt. Clemens, Michigan. I just thought it looked cool.

Thanks for the info and I believe that is exactly what someone has done here. I have never seen another one even in pictures. What ever happened to your car? It is remotely possible that it is the same car I own now.