what is the most effective intake manifold / carb combination for my '65 GTO, 389, 4bbl?

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 09:39 AM about the 1965 Pontiac GTO

I own a '65 GTO and had to rebuild the original Carb, after 48 yrs, then discovered cracks in the carb.decided to purchase new carb / aluminum intake. and suggestion?

note: I am a weekend cruiser and occasional traveler

someone overtorqued the delicate bolts...the cracks did not show up right away...recommend get another one identical to the original...none of this flashy, racing crap...stick to the original...you will thank me as time goes on will be "original" yet~

Would love to stay stock. But, research and discovery indicte that a Carter AFB carb is uncommon. This car is about 93% original. It has 76,345 miles. Even the distributor is stock. Thanks for the input. Not looking to race, just need reliability.

And to the gentleman who replied; 389?: yes, the 1965 Pontiac GTO was delivered with a 389 cu in engine. Optional 3/2 carb or a AFB 4 bbl. the 400 cu in engine was not introduced until later in this popular model.

me ole' '59 Pontiac had the 389...ran smooooth--would get rubber at 35mph~

Carter AFBs were also used on Cadillacs and Chrysler products of that era. My '66 Cadillac had one on it. Beginning 1967 Cadillac switched over completely to Rochester. I'd suggest getting one out of a junkyard or ebay. Have it rebuilt and jetted properly for your car. I did just that, some years ago, with my '70 Catalina that had a V8 400 in it. HTH. -Jim

There are sources for original carbs... highly recommend staying with the original configuration. Will keep you happier in the long run.

Try this guy; he may have what you are looking for; or can direct you to some else dale@gtoman.com

Norm Davis

If you don't mind a 'non-OEM' solution, use the Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold with an Edelbrock Performer 750 carb. Bolt-in, your OEM 4 bbl air cleaner will fit. For a slightly modified engine (cam, headers, HEI) you can step up a notch to the Edelbrock Torquer and Performer 800 CFM carb. The whole package will run you $700, or $800 with the 800 CFM and electric choke. It's a tried-and-true setup. Personally I would rebuild the original carb with a new baseplate, they are terrific units and worth saving. But if you paint the Edelbrock manifold Pontiac blue, even the purists will understand. :D

http://www.carb-x.com/domestic-carburetors/pontiac/8-cylinder-engine/400ci/2-barrel-carbs/21-622a?keyword=7029062 I know this is from two years ago, but maybe someone else can use this information. My 65 Catalina started acting up after a 300 mile round trip to San Diego. I rebuilt the carb. new coil, check and reset points / timing and still have not got her to run right. Have not purchased a rebuilt carb yet, but do plan to. Also to keep the car as stock as possible, will not replace with any after market products.

Nick Pippin

I have 66 goat 400 and mine starting acting bout same amount of miles. Is it electric choke. And does it do what it's doing all the time or only when it's warm And is it worse on hotter days if so make sure choke is set probably and that its not hanging up. Usually if that's the case u will have sutt in ur exhaust and probably failing plugs. But what exactly is it doing

Nick Pippin

I've got a 400 yd code with a rock crusher 4 speed. Not sure about my rear end gear ratio but it is way to low for Hwy driving. My question is it's got a descent amount of power but I'm debating on changing intake and carb. Right now it's a edelbrock Pontiac performer old school and a Webber 650 with choke horn. And it's in a beautiful 66 goat is it worth the effort to make the hood scoop functional. Cause it's a big descion to cut on a OEM HOOD. Any input would b greatly appreciated