I have a 2008 chevy cobalt when I try to crank it everything turns on but the car wont start it makes no sound at all. What could be the problem

Asked by Jul 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

im thinking it may be the starter but I don't even know where the starter is on the car

Take it in for the re-call for the ignition switch, make them tow it

Ford nut is right,your car is under recall for igintion,good call ford nut.

Thanks T_S_T

It's unlikely that this is recall related. If everything else powers up the ignition switch is working fine. The problem with the ignition switch is not a starting problem it is an unexpected stopping problem. Starter is a possibility. Also check the obvious. Is it in park? Try boosting it. A near dead battery might have enough power to operate accessories but not the starter. An '08 is due for a new battery if that's the original still in the car. After that it might be tow truck time, but it will be at your expense.

Was it the recall because I'm having the same problem? I let my car sit for 2 months and got the key stuck in it 1 month prior and now it won't start after the battery got fully recharged. Lights, windows, and radio work fine and the lights are to bright for it to be the battery. I messed with the starter wires and it turns over but there is not enough energy or force or whatever it is passing trough the battery to somewhere else for it to ignite. Idk where to start? The starter, spark plugs..?

Your problems are not related to the recalls. You can, however contact any GM dealer with your VIN and they can check to see if the recalls on your car have been done. For the problem you have now, start by making sure all the various grounds are tight and clean. The key stuck in the ignition sounds odd and makes me wonder if it it somehow activating the antitheft system, although the car should still turn over OK and start for at least a few seconds, so that may be a bit of a long shot. It's not plugs, the car will start even with bad plugs, and if its turning over, its not the starter.