What are the best tires for a 2008 Camry?

Asked by Aug 30, 2012 at 07:49 PM about the 2008 Toyota Camry

My sister drives a 2008 Camry and has been driving both of us nuts trying to find out what the best tires are for her to buy in September.  We live in an area that is going to have some snow and ice as well as rain, so safety is one of her key concerns. The winters are not bad enough to switch to snow tires, so I told her to get All-Season tires... only  now she can't decide since there are so many conflicting reports about tires out there.

Please could you tell us what the best tires would be for her?

185

Though they are a bit higher-performance than you really need for a Camry, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires I have on one of my cars have been great. They have a very high treadwear rating, especially for a high-performance all-season tire, and deliver a nice balance of handling and low noise. While tread life won't be as long as some of the long-life tires out there (some of them promise 60,000 to 80,000 miles), these Continentals will be handle far more predictably at highway speeds and cornering, both very important safety factors. My recommendation would be to visit Tire Rack's website (www.tirerack.com) and put in the year, make and model of the car. Then choose the characteristics you're looking for in a tire and read the extensive survey results for each tire. If you want additional guidance, I'd call and speak with someone there; they are always very knowledgeable, and won't try to sell you "more tire" than you need. I've been a loyal TR customer for 20 years. I'll leave you with these final thought: 1) People in the tire industry consider there to be two types of passenger car tires, "winter tires" and "non-winter tires". All-season tires are not a reasonable substitute for winter tires in areas that get snow, even with all-wheel-drive. 2) Tires are not an item on which it's sensible (or safe) to economize. The four small contact patches (where the tires meet the road) are the only connection a vehicle has with the road. Buy the best tires you can afford. I don't work in the tire industry - I'm just a detail-oriented car enthusiast with a lot of experience. My opinion is well reasoned and experience-based, but I'm not an expert. Nevertheless, I hope this is helpful. Best of luck!

135

All season tires has its limitation, they are good to use for three season, spring, summer and fall; on winter use a proper winter tire with a dedicated set of rims. Ok this is my personal opinion and I am not affiliated to any tire dealers or industries. I drive a 2008 Subaru Outback and I live here in Connecticut we have had a fair amount of snow lately and the last one was 3 feet deep (winter 2012- 2013) , it was a total mess and everything was on hold only emergency personnel was allowed on the state highway. Alright back to the tires, using a good set of snow tires should help you with your winter driving when snow is on the road as long as you drive carefully and take your time, you will notice that the snow tires will have a better grip than an all season tires when stopping, and if you don't mind tire noise for safety get one with studs it helps on icy and pack snow roads. Hopefully I gave you a little bit of insight on the question about snows versus all season tires.

135

My 2008 Subaru Outback uses General Altimax for winter and Bridgestone Potenza G019 all season for the rest of the year with their own set of rims.

1,645

Go to tirerack.com, you can get info on individual aspects of every tire and rank them in your own criteria

135

I try not to endorse any dealers on why I didn't mention TIRE RACK, they have a very comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter and I normally use them as my reference prior to any purchases.

10

I think you should consult my blog post. That is if you would like. It helps find the right tire for you: http://wholesaletireonline.com/blog/view/find-the-right-tire-for-you-buy-tires-online