Can't get Key to turn in ignition of my 2008 Honda Pilot. Should I call locksmith or tow to dealer.

60

Asked by Apr 29, 2013 at 01:45 PM about the 2008 Honda Pilot

I can not get the key to turn in the ignition of my 2008 Honda Pilot.  I can insert the
key, but it will not turn either direction.  The car has power and I have tried both keys.  
I have ensured the pilot is in park.  I have tried jiggling the key while pulling the
steering wheel both right and left.  Basically, I have tried everything I can find on the
web, including lightly tapping the cylinder with a tack hammer.  Is there any other trick
or do I need to call a locksmith or tow it to the dealership? Both keys worked fine and I
had just moved the car from my driveway to the street and tried to restart it.

is there a factory "security system" on this vehicle? a few raps with the heel of a shoe on the bottom of the steering column isn't jigglin' something into position?...I'd take a look at the fuses/relays---there might be a "enabler", also there is a "fail" mode...somehow, will have to investigate, perhaps a knowledgeable guru here has experience with this security mode~

Does the key pull out? is it a transponder key?

on a whim, try disconnecting the negative cable, pump the brakes five times, switch the a/c on wait a spell and put the cable back. Electronics will reset themselves and if there is an "enabler" in your steering column, it too will be reset....with any luck~

60

Both keys move freely in and out. I am heading out to try all of the above and will update. Thanks!

60

No go on everything I have tried. Removed the negative cable as suggested and also checked all fuses. I also tried using compressed air to clear out any debris from the cylinder. I am at a loss. Mobile locksmith or dealer? Has anyone had to remove their Honda cylinder? Thanks again for the suggestions!

I'd be putting a blast of WD-40 down in there and pumpin with the L-R L-R while turning forward and back~ this ain't rocket science.....well okay maybe it is~

was it a "security enabler"...I am wondering now~?

60

I am not completely sure, but I don't think so. I ended up having a mobile locksmith come by. He had to take the column apart and reset the pins. It took quite a while. Unfortunately, I think either I or someone in my family tried to shove the wrong key in and jammed it. I am not sure if that would have tripped the enabler or not. The locksmith also said my keys and ignition were pretty worn out and that it may happen again. Thanks for your help,

thank you...can feel pretty lonely cast into the world of questions~

10

replacing ignition key

If your steering wheel is turned too far, it won't allow the ignition to engage. Straighten up the wheels and try again. It just worked for us.

Thank you! Straightening out the steering will work for us too!