My car will not start consistenly

Asked by Oct 02, 2015 at 07:38 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu

I have had a backyard mechanic replace the Fuel Pump, crank sensor and replaced all spark plugs, still not consistent.  Towed to my regular mechanic and he said the computer was bad.  Towed it to the dealership, replaced, the computer and all six fuel injectors, ran fine, started fine, at dealer.  Just spent a total of $2,667 for all of the repairs, dealers said it should be fine.  Drove it home and it is doing same thing, turns over but does not crank.  I am a 68 yr old poor female, so obviously I can't check anything, and dealership is having it towed back tomorrow morning.  Ever heard of anything like this?  Is it possible that the car cannot be fixed?

67,485

It can be fixed. The problem with intermittent problems such as this is they can be a real task to track down. It's good that the car will be a "no start" when they get it. They should check for spark and fuel. See which is missing and go from there. Usually with intermittent failures it's going to be electrical. Most likely a bad connection. Such as at the fuel pump or ignition control module. Some sensors can cause a no start condition as well. A crankshaft sensor, for example, can do this. While at the dealer, ask if your Malibu is involved in the widespread GM ignition switch recall. A faulty ignition switch can cause a no start condition as well. HTH. -Jim