My tire pressure gauge light has come on twice in the last eight days, but tire pressure is fine?

Asked by Sep 05, 2014 at 05:53 PM about the 2008 Saturn VUE

The pressure gauge light came on this Friday and last Friday during the early afternoon
shortly after exiting the parking lot. The car had been parked for about three hours on an
open asphalt parking lot and in both instances at the same location. The tire pressure for
all tires were within two pounds of each other and within manufacturer's pressure
specifications. In both cases, the pressure gage light came on while driving on city
streets.The tire pressure gauge has never came on prior to these two instances. Once
arriving home I checked the tire pressure approximately 20 minutes after the car had been
turned off - pressure was fine in all tires. I turned on the car and the pressure gauge did
not turn on. I live in Arizona and the outside temperature at the time of departing the
parking lot was in the 105 degree range on both days.

104,295

If you have never had the TPMS sensors replaced or overhauled it is about time the batteries in the sensor units are starting to fail.

385

My 2008 saturn vue xr is doing the same thing. The only thing left is to change them out, but I understood a warning would instruct me to do so when batteries are going out.

815

I don't think you can change the batteries in those sensors. I may be wrong but I thought they were sealed by macromelt, so your only option is buying new ones. I suppose you could do some major overhaul to replace the batteries, but it may not be worth it if the vibration makes them fail early.

60

Just change tires for my Saturn vue 2008 xr. And yet the tire pressure light is still on and they told me in order for me to reset it is to get the original key and they're gonna reset it. So I don't know what else to do a d also their 3 lights that come on when I make a wide turn and that is the break light and the 2 slippery tire light one of them is had a triangle so o don't know what that means.

815

I get the lights that come on too, when I turn left on a slippery/wet/snowy day. It disables stablitrack and ABS, which isn't good. So you have to shut down the car for it to reset. I've heard it is either a bad sensor in the left rear wheel bearing, or corrosion on the cable in the rear for the wheel sensor, or possibly not enough brake fluid in the reservoir. I'll keep an eye on it this winter to see if it happens now that I topped off the brake reservoir. At this point I just deal with it. If it is coming on all the time then I will have to get down to the bottom of what is wrong with it. It is an annoyance though. As far as the TPMS, a reset is worth trying, but I'm guessing the batteries are running low in at least one sensor, and because it doesn't seem to display on my 2008 individual sensors and readings, it may be hard to narrow it down to which one is out. Do you guys live in warm climates, just wondering if that makes the sensor go out earlier?

815

Update: My lights finally came on and it stayed on permanently which were ABS, traction control, stability control and AWD light blinking. Went to an auto store to scan it and found out steering wheel position sensor issue, and no communication with the left rear wheel speed sensor. Low and behold I took the tire off and removed the connector on the left rear wheel speed sensor then stripped back the wire loom and electrical tape on the harness side of the connector and sure enough there was a wire that had rusted through. I soldered it back together and used marine grade heat shrink to seal over the wire, put everything back together and lights were off and everything worked again. For the few weeks AWD was disabled could really tell the difference without it after a snow and that was with getting brand new tires last summer. If I didn't get new tires I wouldn't have gone anywhere that is for sure! Anyway may upload the fix to YouTube when I get some time, busy with health issues right now. Also to add I cleared all codes from my system after the repair and want to add that their was a snowy morning one morning where I pushed the car hard on a left turn(extremely hard with steering wheel correction) and was able to get the lights to come back on. Except I was able to pull over and do the restart thing. My guess is this is the steering angle sensor issue. Have yet to scan and check, definitely not a priority right now for me. Also because it happened while really fooling around I probably won't fix it unless it becomes a common occurance which it hasn't.

20

Darn it! I was JUST going to post the same answer this afternoon, but I couldn't get to my picture from work. The harness/wire he's talking about connect the sensors back to the computer. You'll get a bad read on the wheel that has the problem in the wire. If you can't get that code, then you'll need to check em all. I took it completely out, then tested it with a multimeter and found the broken wire. I also peeled back the insulation and found a wire rusted through. For mine, I could see where the wire had been gripped wrong while making the connector, so I bet there are a lot of the same issue out there. Here is the picture: http://i.imgur.com/L9F2eFo.jpg

815

Yea I got an email that looked like you or someone else put something down but deleted it, but when I came to here I read my last message and wanted to update it. Yea looks like during assembly probably from an automatic harness robot machine that makes these harnesses that a tool must pierce the installation in that one area and everyone probaly has the issue. Except people that aren't in the snow belt states or dont get a lot of road salt or sea salt on the connection probably don't have the issue or won't see it till years down the road. Either way glad it wasn't too hard of a fix and hope this helps some people.