Interior light won't turn off when doors are closed

340

Asked by Dec 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM about the 2008 Ford Escape

The book says the light should go off in 25 seconds after the doors are closed.
The three position switch in the center position should turn the light on if the
doors are open but any time the switch is in that position, my light stays on!

20,430

Try spraying some WD40 into the door latches worked for me when I had that problem.

340

Hi Firebird, I tried it... didn't work for me. I did learn though (thanks) that the switch must be inside the door locks or latches somewhere because there are no push button externally visible anywhere. I'm not getting any door ajar indications so I think the switches must be operable.

20,430

Just for the heck of it try putting the switch in one of the other positions and see if the lights go out then the other position since you have three position switch.

20,430

The inside light that does not want to shut off is it in the front ? If it is like my daughters 2014 Escape the light is a push light. Push the center of the light and see if it clicks off. I remember this because her light was staying on one night and she did not know why. It had me going for a little bit but i figured it out.

340

I like the way you think... Outside the box. I tried the other positions of the switch as you suggested... no luck. FYI, this is a cluster of 3 lights. The dome light and two map lights. The three position switch is best described as 2 positions in addition to the off position. One in 'on', the other is 'door'. When in the center (door) position all three lights are on and stay on but shouldn't if the doors are closed. The two map lights each have a push button that will turn the assoc, bulb on when the main switch is off. Thanks for your suggestions; generally the simple answer is the most likely one. I expect now that the problem lies in the electronic timing circuit. Jim

20,430

Open the rear hatch and close again making sure it is shut tight and all the other doors and see what happens.

340

Hi Firebird and anyone who might be interested. I must with humility confess that I overlooked something which should have been obvious. I had the dome light lit with the dashboard dimmer switch; one 'click' above maximum. This turned on the lamp and it stayed lit. One contributor, Guy Outland, sent me a copy of a publication giving a great description of how all the light are designed to work and viola, that light-bulb in my numb skull came on. Thanks for your help with this. It wasn't wasted... Merry Christmas to all. Jim Christensen

20

Jimmy you the man. 9 months later and you helped me out haha thank you

Thanks Jimmy! Your solution solved my dilemma too lol

10

wait for one minute, it is all about time dear.

340

Gosh, lots of help. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas too!

jimmy could you send me a copy of the publication?

80

All interior lights , door ajar, and lights under the exterior mirrors are staying on. Any help out there?

I drove the car the light went out then I parked rolled down the window got out with car still running then reached in and turned off lights stayed off try to fix in the morning

Thank you, Jimmy. Mine was the dimmer light as well. Kind regards, Pete

Had the same issue with my 2007 Ford Windstar - Jimmy saved my day (and possibly a humiliating visit to a mechanic). Dimmer light that I probably accidentally switch with my knee.

this also fixed my problem. I can't believe that turning the dashlights all the way up turns your interior lights on. what idiotic engineer comes up with this shit? what a useless and annoying 'feature'

Jimmy you are my hero! After 2 month with the light fuse removed, you solved my problem! Thank you!!